aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Chest Tightness after donating blood

Has anyone here ever experienced chest tightness after donating blood?

I always, always feel crummy for the rest of the day after donating blood. Generally I feel weak and tired for the remainder of the day and my chest feels tight. In the past I just been conscious not to overdo it for the remainder of the day and then I'm fine. But this time the chest tightness lasted Friday afer the donation through Monday evening. It didn't hurt, it's was just an uncomfortable tightness and I feel back to normal since yesterday.

When I googled donating blood and chest tightness at first all of the links that I got suggested that it was anxiety-related. I really don't think that is the case. I am not scared of needles, and I've never fainted. Plus, I've never ever had any issues when donating plasma. It is only whole blood donation that causes the fatigue and chest tightness.

In order to donate blood in the first place I have to take iron pills, otherwise my hematocrit levels are too low. I tested anemic during both pregnancies. So I googled anemia and chest tightness and it sounds like that is likely what caused the chest discomfort.

So...I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if so, whether you continued to donate blood when your hematocrit levels tested high enough. We have blood drives three times a year FWIW.
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am anemic/can no longer donate. I've never had that historically. I'd call my doc before giving again.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks, I'll have to talk to my dr at my next appt and see what she says.
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07