♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default paleo breakfast ideas?

would love suggestions, esp with links to recipes. getting sick of eggs! (plus i usually don't have time in the mornings before heading off to work). i do have a vitamix, and i do make smoothies with it (coconut milk, banana, frozen fruit,spinach) but that's usually not filling enough, and usually i dont' have time to do even that. would be great for something i could make ahead, and just reheat if needed.

i have a couple paleo cookbooks and have made somethings like pumpkin custard, pumpkin muffins that i eat for breakfast which are GREAT but they only last about 24 hours in this house as my kids eat them too (which i am glad for..much healthier/less sugar than most other kid breakfast foods).

and i must add,been doing this paleo thing for a couple weeks and it's been hard as heck with DH traveling and me having to cook EVERYTHING.. i i feel like when i'm not at work i'm at home constantly cooking. i guess that goes to show how much I used to eat out or eat prepackaged/frozen foods (bc it's easier!!) hoping when dh does not have to travel and i can get used to making these recipes it will get easier. i think i ran my dishwasher 3x last night, i had cook/baked so many things yesterday. bleh!

Reina is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    would love suggestions, esp with links to recipes. getting sick of eggs! (plus i usually don't have time in the mornings before heading off to work). i do have a vitamix, and i do make smoothies with it (coconut milk, banana, frozen fruit,spinach) but that's usually not filling enough, and usually i dont' have time to do even that. would be great for something i could make ahead, and just reheat if needed.

i have a couple paleo cookbooks and have made somethings like pumpkin custard, pumpkin muffins that i eat for breakfast which are GREAT but they only last about 24 hours in this house as my kids eat them too (which i am glad for..much healthier/less sugar than most other kid breakfast foods).

and i must add,been doing this paleo thing for a couple weeks and it's been hard as heck with DH traveling and me having to cook EVERYTHING.. i i feel like when i'm not at work i'm at home constantly cooking. i guess that goes to show how much I used to eat out or eat prepackaged/frozen foods (bc it's easier!!) hoping when dh does not have to travel and i can get used to making these recipes it will get easier. i think i ran my dishwasher 3x last night, i had cook/baked so many things yesterday. bleh!
    Hi, As a family, we've been eating paleo for 3 years now. (80% paleo, 20% stray - but stray with clean foods. nothing commercial.)
    I get tired of eggs very easy,and my life is rush rush rush, much akin to yours. Husband on trips, kid in school, add to that my ridiculous commute. So I had to get out of my learned habits of "having to eat breakfasty things for breakfast'. . For breakfast, often we'll eat left overs from dinner or lunch. Examples: piece of grilled chicken with salad, pasta sauce (I make pasta sauce with meat and fresh tomatoes and eat it over zucchini, or green beans or what ever vegetable is easy and handy). I really like meatballs in tomato sauce and eat that for breakfast sometimes. If all else fails, few slices of smoked salmon and canned artichoke hearts. Bacon and tomato wrapped in fresh romaine leaf + homemade mayo. sliced steak with salad. And if I had strayed from "the path" and feel bloated and uncomfortable, I skip breakfast altogether.

Nom Nom Paleo is an amazing paleo blog. nomnompaleo.com
    Sarah Fragoso's blog is again, amazing: everydaypaleo.com
    Both bloggers are working, paleo moms. Step by step instructions for everything.
    Those blogs are 100 times better than random books. (I think I have 10 paleo books I never even open).
    Last edited by Reina; 11-04-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    DS Fall '09

If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" Mevlana Jalaladdin Rumi

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm not sure about breakfast, because my breakfast isn't Paleo but I refuse to give it up (homemade toast w/ meunster cheese). But for the other meals, it is a PITA to be cooking all the time! I cook up 2-3 pounds of sausage once a week and eat that for a few days. One of my favorite dishes that I make with some of the cooked sausage would actually make a tasty breakfast and is YUMMY cold: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Italian...ni/Detail.aspx

I have yet to cook sausage fresh for that dish, so I consider it a 10-minute meal. Too long for the morning, but like I said, it's SO GOOD left over.

I also cook 4 pounds of chicken at a time early in the week, but I don't love the thought of chicken in the morning. What about quinoa bites minus the cheese? http://onceamonthmeals.com/quinoa-pizza-bites/

That once-a-month-meals site often has paleo recipes that sound good.

ETA: I also cook veggies in bulk when I can. I want my cooked vegetables to last at least two days!

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I eat leftovers for breakfast a lot - pulled pork or chicken with greens. I also will made a hash with sweet potatoes, onions, apples, spinach and sausage and eat that for breakfast. I also cook up homemade sausage patties with either ground pork or turkey and eat those.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am not totally paleo, but LC with a heavy paleo influence.

Some ideas I can think of:
    this is more of a weekend, not so quick thing: delicatas are great this time of the year. Peel with a good veggie peeler, cut in half, remove seeds. Cube. Pan fry cut up bacon (bite sized, I cut with kitchen shears), sliced onions, and the cubed delicatas. Top with garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, green onion if you have it. A nice sub for hashed browns. Dh enjoys that one and he is not a lover of squash

In the winter we do a lot of stock. I will make a huge pot over the weekend, and then I freeze in various size jars. I reheat some homemade stock with a hunk of ginger and then drizzle in a whisked egg or two (stream in like you would for egg drop soup). I add a splash of hot sauce or fish sauce sometimes. Nice for cold mornings and if you have stock on hand, it is very quick.

leftovers (a LOT). Dh and I both had a salad for bkfast this morning, which isn't all that uncommon for us.

if you make paleo snacks, can you freeze some to slow down the kids?

cleaner (watch sugar, etc.) sausage or chicken sausage that is heat and eat. Add some sauteed veggies as a side if you can.

I don't love eggs for bkfast (starting having an aversion when I was pg with DD), but I don't mind deviled or hardboiled as much. They keep 7 days if the shells are intact. I am not sure if you make paleo mayo right now or not, but you can tweak that and add various flavors (chipotle, etc.) to the mayo to make it more interesting. I also sometimes mash the yolks with guacamole or avocado, cumin, chili powder, etc. and that's a nice change. My kids like hard boiled or deviled eggs too, so that is pretty quick for us. Perhaps harder for you as I'm not sure your kids can really do a good job of peeling yet, and peeling can be a bit tedious.

Sometimes I sautee a bunch of veggies and drizzle an egg or two over the whole thing. I make the ratio so it is way heavier on veggies and lighter on egg, and that isn't as overwhelming to me as a large amount of eggs.

soup. My winter staples are hearts of palm shredded in the food processor and used as "rice" (with chicken, celery, carrots, etc.) in soup, and then soups with mini meatballs and greens (escarole and italian type meatballs, or turkey ginger scallion sausage with a gingery chicken broth and kale or other greens, green onion, etc.)
    I think it will get easier. I definitely don't cook that many things that take long, and I feed everyone here all of there meals since we HS. I have tweaked my bulk cooking, etc. over the years to methods that work really well for me, and that keeps it from being so overwhelming.

This morning I browned 1.5 lbs of beef, turned the other 1.5 lbs into burgers for one dinner and a lunch. I reheated leftovers from last night for dinner (so basically no work for dinner tonight's meal other than reheating, but that let me get ahead on a few other meals). While we were eating our dinner, I threw the burgers in that I prepped this morning. I do things like that every few days. Yesterday I roasted a huge tray of sweet potato fries and sliced delicatas (skins on) and we had that as last night's side, as well as tonight's side. Yesterday I cooked two chickens (did not use for dinner that night) and we'll use the leftovers for dinner tomorrow (busy day with kid activities). I'll still have a bunch to cube and stick in the freezer for soup or other dishes.

eta: my kids will eat things like cold or reheated drumsticks for breakfast along with a piece of fruit or something like sliced peppers. I don't mind things like that in the a.m. either. You can tweak the seasonings, sauces, etc. to change it up (nomnom paleo has some nice ideas for things to do with drumsticks). Can you roast a large pack of those every few days and reheat in the am?
    Last edited by brittone2; 11-04-2013 at 07:31 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When I did my Whole 60 I ate leftovers a lot for breakfast and actually really liked it! Especially leftover roasted veggies which I love. That and usually some mixed berries (frozen ones defrosted) mixed with coconut milk and sliced almonds. I also really liked the frozen chili lime chicken patties from TJ's topped with salsa and guacamole. I add a 1/3 cup of raw cashews to my green smoothies which gives it a little protein boost and helps keep you full longer (1/2 an avocado too). They don't change the taste of the smoothie.

Now, a lot of times I skip breakfast or just have 3 pieces of bacon to tide me over, then I have a huge asian chicken salad around 11am.

I don't really like eggs at all, but during my Whole 60 I did make several frittatas with canadian bacon, chives, and bell peppers and liked that. You can make it ahead of time and just cut a wedge, warm it up, and go. You don't even need a fork!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    my kids will eat things like cold or reheated drumsticks for breakfast along with a piece of fruit or something like sliced peppers. I don't mind things like that in the a.m. either. You can tweak the seasonings, sauces, etc. to change it up (nomnom paleo has some nice ideas for things to do with drumsticks). Can you roast a large pack of those every few days and reheat in the am?
    Yum! Drumsticks for breakfast sounds really good! I love cold leftover chicken!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)