Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Yep, I love sardines and crackers. DDs hate it. When I eat them.

Do you mean anchovies? Love those too!
    Yes, same here!

There's a restaurant here that does a huge Caesar salad with anchovies, fresh, grated parmesan, and a large wafer style cracker. Yum!!!!

Twinfoxes, I was getting little worried after that pumpkin thread, but I feel better now

I love sardines on crackers or a nice dark rye. I'm not even sure what brand I buy. I just now checked because I thought I had a tin stashed away for a night DH works late and it's gone!!! DH must have "disposed" of it
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

On toast. In Australia you can buy them packed in a tomato sauce rather than oil or water. Super yummy. Neither DS nor DH are fans, so I get them all to myself, alone with my Heinz baked beans!

i recently had gestational diabetes and the easiest no thought breakfast that i had was a small bowl of oatmeal and 1/2 to 1 full tin of king oscar brand sardines in olive oil. kept blood sugars low, filled me up, gave me a dose of fiber AND tastes good.

my other stand by breakfast was matzo brie.

i also particularly like king oscar olive oil sardines with soupy rice.

i have tried other brands of sardines, but for convenience, i really like king oscar. there might have been other brands i like, but usually i have a hard time finding them again. i like king oscar also because they dont taste meaty (like tuna) and because the bones are almost NEVER hard or discernible. i think its a matter of the size of the fish, so its not necessarily a brand thing but certain brands consistently use larger sardines.

king oscar kippers + (oatmeal or soupy rice) is another favorite. kippers have a pleasant smoky & salty flavor.

my toddler likes a bite or two, then tires of fish (more for me), and my husband despises sardines and kippers.
    glib-gabbety puke stockings.
    ds 11/09
    dd 10/13

Yes! Always packed in oil though (if tinned),with a splash of lemon or lime.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm glad to see this thread -- I've never eaten a sardine (I have issues with eating skin/bones), but DD has been asking me to buy them so she can try them. This is a dumb question, but how "fishy" are they? Is the taste similar to canned tuna, or closer to anchovies? And should I just spread them on crackers/toast for DD"s first taste? Or is there a good introductory recipe?
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sardines would be closer to anchovies then tuna.

I eat sardines. We cook them all kinds of way and always yummy. Try to avoid it since so salty but good.
    DD1 6/08
    DD2 10/09

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We like them too. The kids go in phases with them, but will eat them from time to time.

When I was pg I tried to eat them periodically, but the fishy aspect was less than appealing. I would mash them with wholly guacamole, which minimized the fishiness.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post

Twinfoxes, I was getting little worried after that pumpkin thread, but I feel better now
    I'm glad I restored your faith.

I like strong flavors in general, there's just something about pumpkin...
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another sardine lover here! I just buy the olive oil-packed bundle from Costco. I eat them plain out of the can. Sometimes I add some Red Hot or mustard but usually just plain. My kids also like them but, sadly, will not eat them at school bc their classmates refuse to sit next to them. I think it's sooo cool that they eat them!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    I'm glad to see this thread -- I've never eaten a sardine (I have issues with eating skin/bones), but DD has been asking me to buy them so she can try them. This is a dumb question, but how "fishy" are they? Is the taste similar to canned tuna, or closer to anchovies? And should I just spread them on crackers/toast for DD"s first taste? Or is there a good introductory recipe?
    i know i already had my say, but i strongly urge you to buy a tin of king oscar if you or your dd hasnt had them before. i dont like tuna (unless its raw) and anchovies have their place, but truly neither are anything like a good tinned sardine and you should give yourselfs half a chance and go for king oscar for the first try. im sure your daughter might really like it if you bought that brand. most groceries carry it. good luck!
    glib-gabbety puke stockings.
    ds 11/09
    dd 10/13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast