Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm scared of cooking spray!

I'm the cook in our house. My husband's on a reduced calorie diet, and he asked me if I could switch from cooking with olive oil to using a spray. I try to keep my cooking limited as much as possible to unprocessed foods, and the cooking sprays I've seen all have "stuff" in them.

Those of you who are watching calories and also feel strongly about not eating artificial foods, what do you do? Should I just suck it up and use the spray?

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Could you split the difference and get a spray bottle you add your own oil to?
    http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-...er+for+cooking

I haven't had good luck with these - I think DH overfills them and then pumps them too many times, the pressure builds up and it starts to leak, but I'm sure someone else could use one with better results.

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What about an olive oil sprayer? You just put olive oil in it, pump it and spray it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-.../dp/B00004SPZV
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Mistos are great. Whole Foods and Trader Joes also sell spray canola oil that might have ok ingredient lists.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Adding to the chorus about the Misto - I actually put TWO on my registry so I could have one with olive oil and another with canola. (DH didn't understand why I had 2 and "confiscated" one. I'm still a little steamed about it because I want it back!)

It really does work!

Also, I don't know what kinds of pots/pans you're using, but there are some great nonstick options that aren't Teflon, including cast iron (seasoned properly, cast iron is AMAZING), enameled cast iron (will need a little lubricant) and anodized aluminum.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Those of you who are watching calories and also feel strongly about not eating artificial foods, what do you do?
    well my answer will probably be different from others. i don't believe a tsp or two of olive oil is bad for those who want to lose weight. i know most people think diet to lose weight = low-fat, no oil, whole-grains, no eggs but i personally disagree with all that, and it's not the smidgen of oil that makes people gain weight, but that's my philosophy. If i don't eat some fat/oils i am constantly hungry and miserable and i don't even lose that much weight.

disclaimer: few weeks ago i have started eating paleo (no grains, no gluten, no dairy) and have lost weight/inches around my waist, after a year of nearly being at the same weight. i eat no artificial/prepackaged foods whatsoever..i have been using coconut oil to cook things, mostly and have gone through a lot of it.

i used to use cooking spray but i don't like it and then realized cooking spray has ingredients (soy lecithin?) that eff up the teflon in nonstick pans. so that is the reason i dont' use it.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree with Ms. Pacman. I wouldn't bother with the spray. Olive and coconut oil are considered healthy oils. He will be fine eating those in normal amts, no spray needed.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Personally, I would just suck it up and use the spray. I think the benefits of his reduced calorie diet will outweigh the tiny bit of other stuff found in the cooking spray.

I agree that using oil isn't what makes people gain weight, but cutting out oil wherever you can certainly helps with a reduced calorie diet & weight loss. But then I believe that a calorie is a calorie and weight loss for the vast majority of people is calories in vs. calories out. And personally I would rather eat 40 calories of vegetables than a teaspoon of oil.

I agree with the Misto. DH is on a very low fat diet right now (he is doing the P90X diet and exercise routine), and I have had to get really creative because if he has a salad with dressing for lunch I can't use any oil for dinner. So I have been doing a lot of sauteing using a little red wine and it is delicious. I have to cook on lower heats, but it adds a lot of flavor to the foods I am cooking. When I am roasting, I will drizzle with a little chicken stock and cook on aluminum foil to avoid scrubbing pans.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreTheFocus View Post
    Personally, I would just suck it up and use the spray. I think the benefits of his reduced calorie diet will outweigh the tiny bit of other stuff found in the cooking spray.

I agree that using oil isn't what makes people gain weight, but cutting out oil wherever you can certainly helps with a reduced calorie diet & weight loss. But then I believe that a calorie is a calorie and weight loss for the vast majority of people is calories in vs. calories out. And personally I would rather eat 40 calories of vegetables than a teaspoon of oil.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast