Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Christmas train set

I will start this off with a confession. I have two kids, 4 and 7, and we've never celebrated Christmas at home. Never bought a tree, stockings, decorations, nothing. We've normally celebrated at someone else's house and just opened presents there. This year we actually have room, so we have a tree and stockings. I saw a train set on display at home depot and suddenly really wanted one (for the kids, of course )

I haven't decided if I want to be talked out of it, but can I ask what kind of set people have and what kind of price range it was in? Any good brands or deals?

TIA!

We have a combination of my Dad's and Grandpa's sets...plus what we add to it annually. It is a Lionel set. We made a board to put it on years ago. Each year we buy something to add to it. Down the road as the kids grow I hope to be able to divide it into as many sets as needed.

Great investment!

We have 3 train sets, but nothing I would identify specifically as a Christmas train set. I like them and they're cute, but I think what we have is enough.

Our 3 - a wooden Thomas the Train set, a plastic motorized Thomas set, and a Lego Duplo motorized set. We could set any of the motorized ones up to run around our tree, but we never do - DS would take it apart immediately to play with it elsewhere *or* he'd be playing with it under the tree, and we'd rather not have him hanging out there.

Someone posted about an FAO train set on clearance at TRU a few days ago for $70. Does this qualify as a Christmas train?

ETA: Eh, after looking at this Christmas train guide, I'm guessing none of these qualify, haha... good luck with your search!
    Last edited by gummibear; 11-19-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    DS - Dec 2008

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have the North Pole Geotrax set, http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-G...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt which is good for kids, but not one of the gorgeous decorative train sets you often see.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have a lot of Lionel train sets, but we do a Santa train geotrax around the tree, so that it can be played with, without us worrying that it will get broken.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by Jen841 View Post
    We have a combination of my Dad's and Grandpa's sets...plus what we add to it annually. It is a Lionel set. We made a board to put it on years ago. Each year we buy something to add to it. Down the road as the kids grow I hope to be able to divide it into as many sets as needed.

Great investment!
    That sounds amazing! I wish I had something like that to pass on to the kids!

Quote Originally Posted by gummibear View Post
    We have 3 train sets, but nothing I would identify specifically as a Christmas train set. I like them and they're cute, but I think what we have is enough.

Our 3 - a wooden Thomas the Train set, a plastic motorized Thomas set, and a Lego Duplo motorized set. We could set any of the motorized ones up to run around our tree, but we never do - DS would take it apart immediately to play with it elsewhere *or* he'd be playing with it under the tree, and we'd rather not have him hanging out there.

Someone posted about an FAO train set on clearance at TRU a few days ago for $70. Does this qualify as a Christmas train?

ETA: Eh, after looking at this Christmas train guide, I'm guessing none of these qualify, haha... good luck with your search!
    I looked at my local TRU but didn't find that train set someone posted. When I said "Christmas train set" I guess I really just meant a train set that can go around the tree. I didn't even realize there was a motorized duplo one! That sounds fun

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    We have the North Pole Geotrax set, http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-G...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt which is good for kids, but not one of the gorgeous decorative train sets you often see.
    Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    We have a lot of Lionel train sets, but we do a Santa train geotrax around the tree, so that it can be played with, without us worrying that it will get broken.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    I like the idea of a geotrax one since my 4yo is still a bit rough with his toys.

Thank you all for your responses. Now I'm off to find something that hopefully won't break the bank!
    Last edited by aimeet; 11-19-2013 at 03:07 PM.

We're Disney fans and last year we went to Disneyland a ton...so I got this train for under our tree last year. We love it and goes perfect under the tree. I bought it when Disney store (online) had their F&F sale.

http://m.disneystore.com/disneyland-...04563/1000265/

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by aimeet View Post
    That sounds amazing! I wish I had something like that to pass on to the kids!

I looked at my local TRU but didn't find that train set someone posted. When I said "Christmas train set" I guess I really just meant a train set that can go around the tree. I didn't even realize there was a motorized duplo one! That sounds fun

I like the idea of a geotrax one since my 4yo is still a bit rough with his toys.

Thank you all for your responses. Now I'm off to find something that hopefully won't break the bank!
    Toys R Us usually has a Santa set that is about $20. I can't remember if the train is one that is electric or not, but it is a santa theme with snow on the tracks, and we have many other geotrax trains, so we just probably just add a different engine in front of it to make it an electric set up to go around in a circle (we may have used some of our own tracks too). We even have a nice polar express train, but my kids, esp my youngest one who was 3 last christmas, kept getting frustrated, b/c it is hard to get it back on the track properly, when he's older, we will probably use the polar express or one of the lionel sets as set that goes around the tree.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hey, that's a great idea to set the Duplo train up around the tree this year! Thanks!!! Maybe Santa will even deliver a new one to add to our existing set.... hmmmmmm train layouts on Christmas eve.......
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ok, so before purchasing a second Duplo Train to go around the tree, I decided to see how difficult or not it would be to make the layout.... you can't do a circle because it ends up too small. So that would probably mean some kind of square, which is fine, but for anyone considering the My First Train set, you will need extra track. I'm not even sure if we have enough track! It's an oft heard refrain in this home-of-a-train-loving-toddler: "We NEED more track!!!"
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast