Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Car rentals at LAX

From the reviews that I've been combing, it doesn't seem that any of the car rental agencies out of LAX got good reviews. If anyone has had experience, good or bad with any of the name brands that are nearby- please share! The best of the worst I've found was Enterprise and Hertz. I've actually used Enterprise before, but not out of the airport, and I have used Budget before out of the airport, but it was a very long time ago.

Basically, I'm trying to find a company that has decent all around reviews, cs, car, billing etc. Plus, pick up with the shuttle should be fairly quick because we are traveling with 3 little kids, luggage and car seats...

Thanks in advance!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've used Enterprise out of LAX a few times, and have no complaints.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

With any of them, you have to go out of the terminal, cross the traffic that is coming in to pick up passengers, stand on an island and flag down the shuttle bus. There are several color coded islands for different shuttles (1 island for car rentals, 1 for hotels, 1 for parking lots etc.) I hate doing it with just ONE DC and he's 9. I have to herd him to make sure he can navigate around all the people on the sidewalk, crossing at pedestrian crossing with us, help him onto the island which is often full of other people, and often the shuttle stops in traffic, so you have to get off island to get into shuttle. When DS was younger, DH would go get the car from the parking lot and drive back to the terminal to get us.

I'd be sending DH ahead to get the car while you wait at baggage claim. Have DH take some luggage and maybe 1 of the car seats to install. Yes, it'll be a pain to keep kids occupied in the terminal, but it'll be safer. Have DH call you when he's driving back in, you can then get kids out to sidewalk (don't have to cross the traffic) and when he pulls up, put rest of seats in.

Also, depending on day/time of your arrival, the pick-up area can be absolutely nuts, as in traffic jam-parking lot conditions. Sometimes it's taken me 30 minutes just to get from airport entrance to the terminal. Other times, it's been easy. Maybe wait and see what the traffic conditions are like and then decide whether you all go to the car or just 1 of you gets it and drives back.

All the car rentals are in surrounding streets away from LAX. How long it takes to get to car and back will just depend on the traffic
    Last edited by niccig; 11-16-2013 at 10:39 PM.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We were just in LA last week and rented at the Enterprise at LAX. All was fine, no problems! My rental was super cheap too. Including all taxes and fees, it was less than $50 for 3 days. Granted DH and I were there without kids , but I don't think it would have been too difficult with them either.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    We were just in LA last week and rented at the Enterprise at LAX. All was fine, no problems! My rental was super cheap too. Including all taxes and fees, it was less than $50 for 3 days. Granted DH and I were there without kids , but I don't think it would have been too difficult with them either.
    It's the main airport we fly out of. It just depends on the day/time you arrive. We've had times when it's been fine, and other times the sidewalk is jammed with people you have to navigate around and there has been no room on the shuttle island to stand, so we've had to stand on the road with cars driving right by us. It's a terrible design having the cars for pick up and all the shuttles in the same space.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd be sending DH ahead to get the car while you wait at baggage claim. Have DH take some luggage and maybe 1 of the car seats to install. Yes, it'll be a pain to keep kids occupied in the terminal, but it'll be safer. Have DH call you when he's driving back in, you can then get kids out to sidewalk (don't have to cross the traffic) and when he pulls up, put rest of seats in.

We ALWAYS do this, but especially when the kids were younger. Having DH have the carseats already installed was key. We would all go to the bathroom, maybe have a snack, and by the time we did that DH would be almost back with the car!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post

We ALWAYS do this, but especially when the kids were younger. Having DH have the carseats already installed was key. We would all go to the bathroom, maybe have a snack, and by the time we did that DH would be almost back with the car!
    This is a good idea, thanks. My only hesitation is that if it takes him over an hour to get the car, the kids and I will be very ansty already! But, I guess it is still the better option... Actually, my DH can take my oldest, almost 5 year old with him which would make it a bit easier for me.

Any thoughts on companies, besides for Enterprise? I'll probably go with either Enterprise or Hertz if I don't hear anything different. I'm just looking out for the cheaper price. It comes out a pretty penny because we were convinced to get a minivan and its for 8 days... We had thought for a moment or two for an SUV, but cost is almost the same and we know for sure we'll have room in the minivan for three car seats and luggage and stroller.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Are you a Costco member? Price out there. I saved a ton! Honestly, the big chains are all pretty comparable (well some are fancier than others- like Hertz vs Budget) so I wouldn't let reviews away you a ton. We've never done LAX (I avoided that and went to Ontario instead the time we were there ) so no specific help.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MoeJoe View Post
    This is a good idea, thanks. My only hesitation is that if it takes him over an hour to get the car, the kids and I will be very ansty already! But, I guess it is still the better option... Actually, my DH can take my oldest, almost 5 year old with him which would make it a bit easier for me.

Any thoughts on companies, besides for Enterprise? I'll probably go with either Enterprise or Hertz if I don't hear anything different. I'm just looking out for the cheaper price. It comes out a pretty penny because we were convinced to get a minivan and its for 8 days... We had thought for a moment or two for an SUV, but cost is almost the same and we know for sure we'll have room in the minivan for three car seats and luggage and stroller.
    I don't think there is a difference between any of them. When I fly into lax, I take whatever is cheapest on Hotwire and often don't know until after I book. They are all located in the same general area, which as pp have said, is not that close to the actual terminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

One year in Orlando, over Easter, all the airport locations were renting compact sedans for $800+/ week-> way jacked up price bc of the crowds. We called all off site places til we found one renting for $200/ week. Dh took a cab there and then picked us up at baggage claim. We've done that in San Francisco too. It really saves a lot. We have called midtrip and been able to change drop off to the airport with no penalty too. Something else to consider.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast