Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Should I get Magna Tiles or these...

I know I should probably just get the Magna Tiles 100 Piece set... but while I was searching I came across these. They are award winning and have great reviews. I normally don't like copy cat products as they are usually not as good as the original, but, I liked that these came with a couple "extras" like a car and some rectangles and open small squares as well as the bulk of the set being about the same configuration as the Magna Tiles. I figure I would get a few different pieces with out having to also order the smaller deluxe set of Magna Tiles. What do you guys think? Any experience or opinions? The price is good. I also saw them somewhere else on a Google search for a little less. I have read so may posts here about the Magna Tiles that is seems like the obvious option, but, this got me thinking...

http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Playma.../dp/B00D30ENY8

I also could just get the Magna tiles 100 piece and then add the Magna Tiles deluxe set
    http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_comp...FW3NOgodxVsAKQ

or get the Magna Tiles 100 piece and this magformers vehicle set
    http://www.qvc.com/Magformers-Cruise...+Top+Rated-_-1

I know the second 2 options will cost quite a bit more and I am not sure we need all that. So I guess I am leaning toward the Magna Tiles 100 Piece clear or the Playmag option. I am not sure if the deal that was posted last week is still good

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...ght=magnatiles

I just also found this great blog comparing all the different options, brands, and prices....

http://myconsumerboard.hubpages.com/...tiles-for-kids

Now I am so confused!!! Help!!!

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We only have the magnatiles, so I don't have experience with the other brands.

I do know that the basic magnatile shapes have never seemed limiting to us. I have zero desire to add on new shapes. Part of what I love about magnatiles is that I can just stack them up on a shelf. More shapes = harder clean up. My kids build super elaborate contraptions with the basic set, I almost feel like the specialty pieces are more limiting.

we only have magna tiles, but i might get that train/car set to go along with them. they seem pretty great and really how hard could it be to duplicate a magna tile? IMO, they are definitely overpriced for what it is. did you see this review….

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
    5.0 out of 5 stars Best toy ever! (according to my 3 year old, at least!) November 17, 2013
    By I <3 Baby Toys
    LOVE LOVE LOVE. This is my 3 year old daughter's favorite toy. It is 100% compatible with Magna Tiles (which are very similar -- we can't tell the difference -- but much more expensive) and MetroMags (which again, are completely the same, but might be a little cheaper?). The train element is awesome. The four train cars were much bigger than I had thought -- large enough for two square tiles -- and add a whole new dimension. I recommend getting as large a set as you can afford. We probably have about 150 tiles (and I can never tell which brand is which) - and my 3 year old would still love more! I would avoid the Magna Tiles just b/c they are more pricey but I haven't noticed any vast extra quality or magnetic power for their price. These are awesome! I also think this is a truly gender neutral toy. My daughter loves building skyscrapers, farms, hospitals for her little dolls, schools, etc. - and putting her little animals and dolls in them -- and now has started to use the magnetic blocks to make a table and four chairs for a tea party for her Strawberry Shortcake girls. We also love using them in conjunctions with Squigz (suction cup toys) and on the fridge or on our bathtub (which they stick to). Maybe the best part is that cleanup isn't too bad - sometimes it's fun bc they all stick together -- and once you have them all stuck in piles, they don't take up any room at all.
    Comment |
    Mom to DD 7/06, DS1 8/08 & DS2 9/11!

I am in the same boat with you (=confused).
    We have some magformers that DD & DS still enjoy playing with. I was thinking to get the kids more magformers this xmas but after reading everyone's love of magnatiles earlier here on the forum, I'm debating whether to get the magnatiles instead. The only thing is I just don't want to start "collecting" new things as we tend to do that when the kids get into something. I think the deal is still available --someone said the code is good until 11/27 (??). Sorry my post is not so helpful .
    Mommy to 2 Kiddos

Hmm, very interesting! I didn't know there were other compatible brands. I found this review as well (not mine):

To set things clear.....I have both the magnatiles and the Playmags at home. I recently added on the playmags to my original magnatile collection. they now are in one big box...It is Impossible to tell the difference when building anything. The Playmags are just as strong as the magnatiles so definitely worth the money you can save. My kids make about 6 feet tall towers and it holds pretty well. The Playmags also have adorable cars and gate pieces that magnatiles does not have and its a favorite for my kids.

Also, I see the 100 pc Playmags Set on Overstock for $79.5 and you can get 10% off which brings it to $71.5
    http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...131118182352:s

Think I'll be picking one up at this price!!

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreTheFocus View Post
    Hmm, very interesting! I didn't know there were other compatible brands. I found this review as well (not mine):

To set things clear.....I have both the magnatiles and the Playmags at home. I recently added on the playmags to my original magnatile collection. they now are in one big box...It is Impossible to tell the difference when building anything. The Playmags are just as strong as the magnatiles so definitely worth the money you can save. My kids make about 6 feet tall towers and it holds pretty well. The Playmags also have adorable cars and gate pieces that magnatiles does not have and its a favorite for my kids.

http://myconsumerboard.hubpages.com/...s-for-kidsAlso, I see the 100 pc Playmags Set on Overstock for $79.5 and you can get 10% off which brings it to $71.5
    http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...131118182352:s

Think I'll be picking one up at this price!!
    Thanks for the overstock suggestion!!! I did a search, but, kept coming up with other brands/sets. I will wait for some more feedback, if nothing negative, I may just go for it. The only difference I see between the Magna Tiles and the Playmags is the colors are a bit more primary/brighter and the Magna tiles are that they appear a bit more feminine/pretty. I prefer the Magna tiles colors, but, having boys I don't think they care!

Another question....Where did you find the 10% off???
    Last edited by Blakes Mommy; 11-18-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sewarsh View Post
    we only have magna tiles, but i might get that train/car set to go along with them. they seem pretty great and really how hard could it be to duplicate a magna tile? IMO, they are definitely overpriced for what it is. did you see this review….

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
    5.0 out of 5 stars Best toy ever! (according to my 3 year old, at least!) November 17, 2013
    By I <3 Baby Toys

LOVE LOVE LOVE. This is my 3 year old daughter's favorite toy. It is 100% compatible with Magna Tiles (which are very similar -- we can't tell the difference -- but much more expensive) and MetroMags (which again, are completely the same, but might be a little cheaper?). The train element is awesome. The four train cars were much bigger than I had thought -- large enough for two square tiles -- and add a whole new dimension. I recommend getting as large a set as you can afford. We probably have about 150 tiles (and I can never tell which brand is which) - and my 3 year old would still love more! I would avoid the Magna Tiles just b/c they are more pricey but I haven't noticed any vast extra quality or magnetic power for their price. These are awesome! I also think this is a truly gender neutral toy. My daughter loves building skyscrapers, farms, hospitals for her little dolls, schools, etc. - and putting her little animals and dolls in them -- and now has started to use the magnetic blocks to make a table and four chairs for a tea party for her Strawberry Shortcake girls. We also love using them in conjunctions with Squigz (suction cup toys) and on the fridge or on our bathtub (which they stick to). Maybe the best part is that cleanup isn't too bad - sometimes it's fun bc they all stick together -- and once you have them all stuck in piles, they don't take up any room at all.
    Comment |
    I agree the train set looks cute and my vehicle (trains/cars) loving boys would like it.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

wow this is so interesting. I've held off on getting magnatiles mostly because they seemed so damn pricey, and also I wasn't sure if my DCs would end up liking them. but after seeing this (lower price plus comes with train cars, etc) i may go for the playmags as a joint Christmas gift!! seems like the price is much better and the quality appears to be the same as from reviews. especially if they have more primary colors (i have a boy and girl). also, what really intrigues me is the car/train...OMG, DS would flip!! i may get the overstock 100pc one and then get the 20pcs with cars set from Amazon. that woudl still be cheaper than one 100pc magnatile set!!

and i too am wondering how you get the 10% off on overstock?

If someone buys the generic magnatiles check back in and tell us how they really are. The reviews on amazon scream fake to me because they are all five stars across the board and only one of the reviewers has reviewed any additional products. Also the fact that the product title is "award winning". What award? Lastly, as you read through the description toward the end it starts to sound like it was written by a bored teenager. So I'd be interested in a review from someone we "know" who also has magnatiles.

ETA: the bored teenager part turns out to be the info from the National Parenting Center (missing some punctuation). "Magnets are inserted inside the edges and that's about all you need to know. The magnets are strong enough to construct pretty solid structures, These pieces got a real workout but never broke or shattered"
    The NPC seal is something that manufacturers self nominate for. They pay $295/product to have their product "independently tested" and if they get the seal then NPC publicizes their product in some ways. No info is readily available on how many products they review and what percentage get the seal.
    Last edited by Snow mom; 11-18-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast