Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default (Update/Question #15) best age for Magnatiles (or similar knockoffs)?

ok all the threads on the Magnatiles & knock-offs (PlayMags, etc) have gotten me interested in these. though, i'm just worried my kids won't be into them and/or will get frustrated with them bc they won't have the dexterity to build intricate things. They will be 2.75 and almost 4 for Christmas. is this a good age?? Could they make towers and such at that age? they both love building with Duplos and DS loves Legos but they obviously stick together much better. DS loves to build with his wooden tracks as well, but i guess its' different than making towers, etc.

I am thinking of getting the Playmags bc they are cheaper ($84 for 100pc set on amazon) plus it comes with the car/train.

and is it bad that part of the reason i'm considering these is that they will be easier to clean up, and even if i dont i't won't hurt as much if I step on them in the middle of the night?? Can't say the same for Duplos or wooden trains.... lol
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 11-24-2013 at 09:19 PM.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is a perfect age. Ds1 got them at 2.5 and still loves them at 4. He's been building structures since the beginning. He likes to make homes for his toy vehicles and animals.

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Magnatiles are the best toy I have given my children. I would gift it over and over again. In fact, DS will be getting a set for his 3rd birthday. We gave DD a set for her 3rd birthday. They are her special toy and the only toy that remains in her room. Both children play with them every.single.day. They are so easy to clean and the kids love sorting and putting them away. I wish I could give DS a set now at age 2 but I can't get the set to travel overseas just yet. He'll have to wait till his grandparents visit.
    I was also worried that my kids wouldn't be into this toy and it's not exactly cheap. Best investment ever. And the coolness factor is so high since you can't get magnatiles in Germany. LOL
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

We got them when DS was 2.5 and DD was 5.5. It took DS a few weeks to figure out how to build with them without getting frustrated. That was 2 years ago and both still play magnatiles daily. I ordered a second set since they are constantly fighting over them,
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS was 18 months and DD was 4 when I bought my first set (about 6 months ago). She loves to build, he loves to knock them down! But he is starting to really enjoy the building part too.

Sounds like you are at the right age. But other posters with much older kids have commented on previous threads that they are well loved. So I think they have a great longevity potential!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks for the replies, everyone!! i know see that with that code 100pc magnatiles would be $90 from creativekidstuff...that's only $6 more than the Playmags so i may just go with Magnatiles and buy the PLaymags carset (with 4 cars plus the "fences") separately, since they are compatible.

Do your kids build/play with them on the floor or at a kids table/light table? i'd love to get a light table but they are pricey, plus I don't know where we'd put it!

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We do it on the floor. I don't bother with a table and all that but it would be nice to have it.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Perfect age. We have magnatiles but I am really tempted by the playmags train. You can make you own light table fairly cheap if you want. Check pinterest.
    "Someday, I am going to go to bed without toys on the floor and sippys in my sink. Things will stay where I put them and I can have nice, fragile items on display. But when I do, I will look around with a wistfullness in my heart and miss the days where vibrant imaginations ran wild and there was evidence of life happening around me all the time!"

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We use magnatiles on the floor. DC is meh about them though. I think we need more as we only have a starter said of about 20.

Default best age for Magnatiles (or similar knockoffs)?

We just play on the floor. They pair great with matchboxes sized cars and schleich animals. And they make great hexbug mazes too.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast