Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default (another) scooter question

so i read lots of old threads...seems most like the more expensive micro maxi/mini vs the razor. dd is 6, 7 in Jan but small. ds is 5, avg to tall for his age. they both want scooters. so i thought maxis, great choice, done and move on. but dd is pretty insistent she does NOT want a 3 wheel scooter, says its "for babies." she is not the most advanced wrt gross motor skills, but does ride a 2 wheel bike easily and learned without any trouble at age 4.5. so should i just play the mommy card and get the 3 wheel?

and then there is ds2, age 3 but small. (a solid 2T in all clothes). i'm thinking micro mini for him, especially bc could later pass on to dd2.

am i missing something?

and...how to find a sale or deal on the micros? i know i will need 3 of them. thanks!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

DD2 is just getting the kick of the Radio Flyer 3 Wheel Scooter she got for her 3rd birthday, but my DD1 got a regular Razor scooter at 5 yrs. old and has done quite well with it and she is on the small side. TBH in my area I think I might have seen two or three Maxi three wheel scooters, most kids except for really small <than 4 yr. olds ride a regular Razor scooter, and I hadn't even heard of Maxi Kick scooters until reading a post three months ago and then I looked up what they were and realized I had seen those two or three random scooters that weren't Razors and were most likely Maxi Kicks.

I would get your daughter what she wants. My DD1 rode her scooter for a good year before learning how to ride her bike so I think if your DD can ride a bike she can easily handle a regular Razor.

There was a recent post titled "Scooter for a 5 yr. old" as well and there was quite a debate about which was better.

(and yes for all of the debaters here I know that the Radio Flyer scooter isn't nearly as good as a Maxi Kick, but it was a gift and DD2 likes it)
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-25-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My boys wouldn't ride a 3 wheel scooter past around age 5 ... he insisted that 3 wheels are for "babies"! I would not buy an almost 7 year old child a 3 wheeled scooter.... chances are she will say "it's for little kids" and you will have wasted your money. We have 2 Razor A kick scooters. They have held up and served my boys well. The best part about it, is that we spent $20 on DS1's and I think $25 on DS2's. They beat them up, drop them, leave em out in the sprinklers ... still going just fine.

Target is going to have Razor scooters on Black Friday for $19. Their target exclusive razors have wheels with lights. I know my DS would get a kick out of that!

RAZOR A FOLDING KICK SCOOTER
    DOORBUSTER! WHILE QUANTITIES LAST! SAVE $15. REG. 34.99. TARGET-EXCLUSIVE LIGHTED WHEELS. In six colors.

Quantities limited; no rain checks.
    All licensed scooters, sale $24

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Mine all have Razors, as do all the neighbor kids. DS1 rides his to school and sticks it in his locker, as it folds. I know DS2 had a 3-wheeled until his 4th birthday and was very ready to get rid of it as it was a baby scooter. All the kids on the street have 2 wheels here.

I think I'd get what they want. Perhaps the Kick scooters are better, but if it's not what they want, it won't get used.
    Kris

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have one of each and the Maxi Kick Scooter is a far better scooter, BUT my DS got a razor as a gift and happily of his own choosing passed his "baby" scooter down to younger DD. Neighborhood moms have even made comments about the Maxi Scooter being such "a nice scooter for the little ones" and I live in a very affluent neighborhood where people could easily afford Maxi's if they knew about them. I find it frustrating, but have never been able to get people past the 3 wheels. I had always planned on getting DD her own Maxi so they each had one, but now I don't need to.

Ds learned to ride a two wheeled scooter before he learned to ride a bike. I would not get a three wheeled scooter for a kid who can already ride a bike.

We have the more expensive razor for ds. (a6 maybe?) Got it because the weight limit was higher and because it can go faster.

Catherine

speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would get your DD a Razor because that is what she is asking for. And I think the Micro is better for 3yo.

We have had a Maxi, Micro and Razor. The Maxi is DS2's (6yo) scooter. The Razor is DS1's (8.5yo). Both boys love the Maxi so much more. And really it is a much nicer scooter. It has such a smooth ride. And they like to do tricks with the way it turns. It is just unfortunate that 3 wheeled scooters are viewed as baby ones. In reality, they are just a different kind of scooter.
    DS1 2005 and DS2 2007

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If she can ride a bike, she can ride a 2 wheel scooter.

I agree that the Maxi / Minis are much better scooters. They are all over the place here - there are literally as many Maxis as there are bikes in the school bike rack. BUT - we are the outliers, I suspect. The distributors live in the district and everyone rides them, probably because (1) they are better scooters and (2) all the kids have them so there is no "baby" association with them.

We have both (wanted the folding Razors for a trip) and both boys far prefer the Maxis.

For a 3 yo, I'd definitely go with a Mini over a Maxi. No question.

There are sales here: http://www.kickboardusa.com/sale

We've bought from there and they were brand new in the box. No guarantee, but I'm sure that if it's used it was just for a photo shoot.

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

See, I bought my youngest a Maxi when she turned three (the size was perfect), and I'm rather glad b/c she's now five and would have outgrown a Mini!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

DH did research and the Razor Cruiser was highly recommended. My son was using big bros at 4. It is 'big boy' but has a wider platform. We All can use it. Great for cruising the boardwalk. It is the envy of all the 8 other grandchildren.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast