Thread: Dinosaur?

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Dinosaur?

So Miss Mopey got to see the giant T-Rex at the Times Square TRU on Monday with her dad! He said she was mesmerized (blew right past the Barbies LOL) and ever since then has been asking to see pictures/videos, etc. ("dinosaur! dinosaur!") and of course my hubby is obliging. We would love to give her a little dinosaur something for the holidays.....Another thread in the lounge has me thinking this as I am excited for her to finally be showing preferences.

She seems to love the realistic look...so maybe not a stuffed animal? Though she could love that too. Something interactive and/or more grown up? I literally have no clue what's out there in Dino-World.

Many TIA!!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Well, this isn't small, but if you're looking for the "wow" factor, this might qualify: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=search

My son received it for Christmas last year from a relative and I rolled my eyes at the time but now, a year later, he still regularly plays with it. Plus, to a kid, a giant dinosaur is really cool. His eyes were wide as saucers when he opened it.

Imaginext has a nice line of dinosaurs. They come with people too and some type of armor thing but you can take it off. They are rated for 3+ but if you take away the small accessories they are fine for a younger kid. These are pretty sturdy toys, and they have moving parts too.

We were just at the Museum of Natural History last weekend. Visit the gift shop there and I'm sure you'll find something good, though the specific dinosaur gift shop was closed for renovation. OR - get a membership as her gift. DS loves it there.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    We were just at the Museum of Natural History last weekend. Visit the gift shop there and I'm sure you'll find something good, though the specific dinosaur gift shop was closed for renovation. OR - get a membership as her gift. DS loves it there.

Definitely take her to the halls of dinosaurs at AMNH. No, she's not too little.

My DD went wild for the juvenile T-Rex from Field Station: Dinosaurs in Secaucus - we "met" him at the annual open house for my alma mater's (very small) geology museum. She roared for WEEKS afterward.

We have since acquired a T-Rex hand puppet by Folkmanis: http://www.amazon.com/Folkmanis-2113...+tyrannosaurus

And a small Schleich model T-Rex (possibly discontinued by now for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is its positioning, which is contrary to the way the skeleton actually fits together … not that I'd know or anything.)

She's been in LOVE with those Imaginext dinos for almost her entire life. Especially the Rex: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-W...+tyrannosaurus
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ciw View Post
    Well, this isn't small, but if you're looking for the "wow" factor, this might qualify: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=search

My son received it for Christmas last year from a relative and I rolled my eyes at the time but now, a year later, he still regularly plays with it. Plus, to a kid, a giant dinosaur is really cool. His eyes were wide as saucers when he opened it.
    There's a smaller version of this guy at toys r us too. I just got it for DS for Christmas because he loves the similar shark.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My just turned 5 yr. old daughter is fascinated with dinosaurs. It started last spring when we watched the original Land Before Time together and has only grown. She has collected quite an assortment of plastic toys (big and small), wood models, books, and a stuffed triceratops that a friend gave her (she sometimes sleeps with it). We actually bought a lot of the plastic ones used on craigslist, or from the Dollar Tree, Walmart, etc. I think the Target dollar spot has large dinosaurs right now for $3. My daughter started out loving the plant eating long neck ones (she thought meat eaters were "disgustin'" but now she has different favorites each day. We took both girls to the Smithsonian this summer and they both loved it. Her favorite show is Dinosaur Train on PBS and she just had a dinosaur themed birthday party.

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks so much for all the suggestions everyone! We have taken her to the AMNH this summer but honestly she (who is never afraid) seemed very unnerved by most of the fossils and the blue whale so we are going to wait a little longer to take her again. I can maybe check the gift shop but we are doing a family membership to the Met as it is closer and she can run around a lot.

I think the smaller version Tenasparkl mentioned could work, plus I am realizing she is getting a lot of stuff. Just have to get to the store

Thanks again! More ideas are also welcome!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh, just thought of this, but the AMNH has a Dinosaur ABC book that my DD really loves:

http://www.amazon.com/ABC-Dinosaurs-.../dp/1402777159

There's a pronunciation guide within the text and fact-sheet at the back.

We may not necessarily have a lot of room for toys at our house, but there's always room for books!!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There are quite a few really cool dinosaur learning toys made by the Smithsonian. She's definitely not too young! When Henry was 2 he learned the names of the dinosaurs using one of these toys, even the crazy dinos with 8-9 syllables.

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB