Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Winter night-time clothing for newborn in crib - suggestions for a cold room.

Hello, I had a question regarding what kind of clothing should a newborn wear at nighttime while sleeping in the crib. I live in the east coast. The average nightime temps are around 20F and as winter progresses it can get into single digits at night.

At the moment the crib is in our bedroom and we keep the nighttime temperature between 62-65F. We use a duck down comforter (from Kohls, level3,warmest) on our own bed and are quite comfortable. However at night the room overall does get chilly and the crib sheets do seem cold when I place my palm on the sheets late at night or early in the morning. I live in an apartment which has pretty good insulation, I have also added the 3M window insulation sheets too.

I have an ikea crib with a naturepedic mattress covered with a single crib sheet. My baby is due soon, so am trying to get things ready. I am not planning to use any blankets,bumpers or pillows in the crib.

I was planning to dress the baby in a first layer of cotton full sleeved full footed pjs and then wrap the baby in a cotton swaddle (not a sleepsack). Will this be enough? or should I

1) First dress the baby in an long sleeve onsie (undershirt) and then put on the cotton full sleeved pjs and swaddle or
    2) Use fleece long footed pjs and then swaddle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. First time mom, so not sure what I should be doing.
    thanks,
    Cooks.

You never know exactly what your baby will like or not-but I've had 2 winter babies and both like being swaddled. I did cotton or fleece pajamas under a cotton swaddle blanket. I actually preferred cotton or terry because often they wore the same outfit during the day and I didn't want them to overheat. Also they often slept in the swing with another blanket and were too warm with fleece pajamas. If baby doesn't like being swaddled, I might be more inclined to do fleece.

Ours was born in the late fall, when it was coldest we did a long sleeve onesie, fleece footed sleeper, and fleece sleepsack with swaddle (like this: http://www.halosleep.com/halo-sleeps...o-fleece-blue/ ).

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We used halo swaddle sacks with my ds2 and now have shifted to regular halo sleep sacks. Our room is around 64-66 at night and we have been doing a cotton or fleece sleeper (on the coldest nights) with a fleece sleep sack.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

In winter I really like the PBK chamois sheets for extra warmth. I also use a short sleeved onesie, fleece footed pjs in winter. My girls were done benign swaddled by the winter but if not I would have used a cotton swaddle.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I think I did receive a halo sleep sack during my shower, will have to find it. I'll go ahead and use that with a long footed/sleeved pjs. If it gets too hot then maybe will use a normal swaddle blanket.

I guess I will wait till the baby arrives and see how she feels, too cold - too hot and then change the innerwear / outerwear accordingly. Appreciate everyone's comments.

cooks.

You can swaddle in an Aden and anais cosy blanket swaddler. It's like two regular swaddle blankets. However, you might want to turn up the thermostat a few degrees with a newborn. I think 68 is the recommended baby sleep temp.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Fwiw, my dd did not like to be swaddled. I put her in a cotton onsie and a fleece sleeper when it was cold. But we do keep our bedrooms around 68 (dh would keep them at 72 if I would let him.)

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    Fwiw, my dd did not like to be swaddled. I put her in a cotton onsie and a fleece sleeper when it was cold. But we do keep our bedrooms around 68 (dh would keep them at 72 if I would let him.)

Catherine
    Thanks Catherine!, will definitely see how cold the room gets.

cooks

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DDs also hated the swaddle. We keep our house cold but they were fine with a cotton sleeper and cotton sleep sack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast