Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Las Vegas with kids, some comments

We are really enjoying our trip to Las Vegas, and I just wanted to share our experience so far in case it might prove helpful to others.

Last night we stayed at the Bellagio in a fountain view room. It was definitely worth it for a night, because the fountains really are spectacular, as is the view of the strip. The kids loved it! I wouldn't stay longer than one night, though. The service at the hotel was not great. EVERYTHING is an extra charge. You're just one of thousands of guests, and you're made to feel that way, too. The view was worth it, but one night was enough.

Tonight we are at the Four Seasons. We are loving this hotel!!! They have been so incredibly lovely to the children (and to us)! At check in, they gave the kids personalized cookies. In the room, they had written their names on the tub and given them each their own age-appropriate toiletries. There was a diaper pail in the bathroom, and all the cords and outlets had been child proofed. At dinner, when the baby desperately wanted to try my cosmopolitan, they made both kids "pink drinks" and served them in small martini glasses. The drinks looked exactly like mine down to the garnish. What's more, they didn't even charge for them, and each kid had two! When we got back to the room, there was a belated birthday card and a piece of cake for DS. I had casually mentioned at check in that he had just turned 5. Everyone has greeted us by our names. I've never been to a Four Seasons before. Maybe they're all this friendly. If so, I think I will try my darnedest always to stay at one when we can. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. And the view from our strip view room is great, too.

Today we spent most of the day at the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay, which is in the same building as the Four Seasons. The children loved it! I would definitely recommend it for kids who like marine life. It's very cold here right now, so my plan to entertain the kids tomorrow at the Mandalay Bay "beach" is a no go, but I think they would have enjoyed that. If we do anything spectacular tomorrow, I'll let you know. I just really wanted to rave about the Four Seasons, because I haven't enjoyed a hotel stay this much in a long time.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wow! Sounds like a great time! Enjoy your vacation!

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have heard great things about the Four Seasons from many people. Their mission is the Golden Rule and seems like they really deliver on it. I am going to try and stay in one on our next trip/
    Glad you are having such a great time!
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That is really awesome that you guys had such a lovely experience! We will definitely keep the four seasons in mind. Sometime's DH has conferences in LV, so it's an excuse to go.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Four Seasons are great properties for kids. They go out of their way to make kids feel special, and I've found that it's in ways that are respectful to the kids and not condescending. Very service-oriented.

Glad to hear of your positive experience in LV. DH has never been, and it's been over ten years for me...and it was on business then. We've hesitated since it doesn't scream family-friendly, but I may rethink that now.

We're home now, and we really did enjoy our trip! We went to the shark reef, as I mentioned, and DS would have been happy to do that every day! We also did the secret garden at the Mirage. It has dolphins, tigers, leopards, and lions. It was small, but another hit. The dolphins were very entertaining, and the big cat enclosures are pretty small, so you see them very closely! (I asked, and they change the animals out frequently, so they are not confined in smallish spaces all the time.)

On Saturday night we went to the NFR, which is like the Super Bowl of rodeos. DS loves bull riding. I'm not really sure where that came from, but he's really into it, so the rodeo was a real treat! It was very cold, so we didn't do much sight seeing outdoors along the strip. Mostly we went to the venues I mentioned and enjoyed a fantastic restaurant on Friday night and room service for a dinner and breakfasts. DS LOVED his Four Seasons bathrobe and even slept in it one night. We splurged and bought him one and one for DD, too. They're early Christmas presents.

I was worried before the trip that it would be difficult to keep the kids shielded from unsavory stuff, but it wasn't a problem. I would go back with kids again, though I don't know if I'd choose it as a venue over other places. Still, since DH had to go, we gave it a shot, and I was pleasantly surprised. It turned out to be a great, though brief, family vacation. A very large part of that was due to the hotels, though. I don't think we would have had nearly as good a time staying elsewhere.

ChefGirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    We are really enjoying our trip to Las Vegas, and I just wanted to share our experience so far in case it might prove helpful to others.

Last night we stayed at the Bellagio in a fountain view room. It was definitely worth it for a night, because the fountains really are spectacular, as is the view of the strip. The kids loved it! I wouldn't stay longer than one night, though. The service at the hotel was not great. EVERYTHING is an extra charge. You're just one of thousands of guests, and you're made to feel that way, too. The view was worth it, but one night was enough.

Tonight we are at the Four Seasons. We are loving this hotel!!! They have been so incredibly lovely to the children (and to us)! At check in, they gave the kids personalized cookies. In the room, they had written their names on the tub and given them each their own age-appropriate toiletries. There was a diaper pail in the bathroom, and all the cords and outlets had been child proofed. At dinner, when the baby desperately wanted to try my cosmopolitan, they made both kids "pink drinks" and served them in small martini glasses. The drinks looked exactly like mine down to the garnish. What's more, they didn't even charge for them, and each kid had two! When we got back to the room, there was a belated birthday card and a piece of cake for DS. I had casually mentioned at check in that he had just turned 5. Everyone has greeted us by our names. I've never been to a Four Seasons before. Maybe they're all this friendly. If so, I think I will try my darnedest always to stay at one when we can. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. And the view from our strip view room is great, too.

Today we spent most of the day at the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay, which is in the same building as the Four Seasons. The children loved it! I would definitely recommend it for kids who like marine life. It's very cold here right now, so my plan to entertain the kids tomorrow at the Mandalay Bay "beach" is a no go, but I think they would have enjoyed that. If we do anything spectacular tomorrow, I'll let you know. I just really wanted to rave about the Four Seasons, because I haven't enjoyed a hotel stay this much in a long time.
    DH and I (just us) are scheduled to go to Vegas the first weekend in January. We are staying at the Bellagio's. After reading your post, i'm scared of the services now. Is it really that bad at the B's? We stayed there 10+ years ago. This is our first trip by ourselves in like 8 years (I swear). Our rate was like $129ish....should I look elsewhere? Should I get a rental car? We are thinking about going off the strip one day.....is the shuttle relatively reasonable from the airport? Thanks in advance.
    Chefgirl
    Mommy to 3 WILD and SWEET kids

I know nothing about the Bellagio shuttle. Our rental car (a full size sedan) was very inexpensive.

The service isn't bad, per se, at the Bellagio. I think you'll enjoy your stay. Our fountain view room really did have a SPECTACULAR view, and staying there was worth it for that view alone. The beds were luxurious, and the room was lovely. Our room service dinner was also delicious.

I raved about the Four Seasons because we really felt the difference between a huge hotel that caters to high rollers and a small hotel that treats all its guests beautifully, including the children. You will have a good time at the Bellagio. I just loved the way the Four Seasons went out of it's way at every turn to do little, special things to make our stay better (and didn't charge for all those extras). The Bellagio charged extra for everything, and that turned me off. It's still a lovely hotel, though. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Default Las Vegas with kids, some comments

Did you say you got a rate for a room that was under $200!!! RUN, do not walk!!! Our rate was definitely at least twice that. I know we paid over $300/night. The Four Seasons was a bit more. For $150ish, you will NOT be disappointed!!!

ETA: We were in a deluxe fountain view room on a high priced night.
    Last edited by 123LuckyMom; 12-16-2013 at 11:22 AM.

ChefGirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks! Yeah, I got an email for their witner special...the rate was $129 + $28 resort fee of course....so about $150 per night. Did you guys rent a car? It's just be me and hubby...it's our make up trip for our 15th wedding anniversary.....any restaurant recommendations? Supposedly the winter rate also includes a free view upgrade and $100 food and beverage credit.....I want to go see O again....
    Chefgirl
    Mommy to 3 WILD and SWEET kids

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast