Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default 9 (now 2) red delicious apples, what can I make?

I don't cook and barely bake, so this is my first foray into this forum. I have oral allergy syndrome, birch protein, so I can't eat raw apples but I can eat cooked apples. I have 9 red delicious apples I can't eat and DS has a loose tooth so he won't eat it (plus he likes green apples, not red - sigh). If I can't figure out something EASY to make, I'll just take them to work tomorrow so they will get eaten and not wasted.

I have an oven, stovetop, toaster oven, crockpot and rice cooker. Any ideas? TIA!
    Last edited by rlu; 12-18-2013 at 01:39 AM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Apple crisp!
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Apple crisp!
    Maybe this one? http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...2-9865f9013238

One of the commentors made it in a glass pie pan, I just happen to have one of those sitting on my counter, so that will work. Some of the commentors thought it too sweet - WWYD, half the sugar or go with the receipe?

eta: figured out my oats question - I have steel-cut and instant, but since the instant is flavored I think not right for this. Although, it is brown-sugar flavored so maybe. One of the commentors used more flour instead of oats, so maybe that would be best. Or I have to go to the store. Or find a receipe that doesn't need oats. http://toahealthyfamily.blogspot.com...-cut-oats.html

eta again: found some old-fashioned oats, hooray. Although this looks good too http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...a-a7cbaaf76067
    Last edited by rlu; 12-11-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just about always find apple crisp recipes to be too sweet (plus red delicious is not a tart apple). I would agree with the suggestion to reduce the sugar.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Default 1 apple down

I made this microwave crisp http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...a-a7cbaaf76067

I didn't have the apple pie spice so using the 6 to 1 ratio from here http://bakingbites.com/2007/10/make-...e-spice-mixes/ I blended 6 teaspoons of cinnamon with 1 teaspoon of nutmeg and then used 1/4 teaspoon of that.

Two minutes in the microwave incinerated one ramkin's contents, but 1 minute for the other made for some tasty apple-ly goodness.

I didn't bother with the granola, yogurt or ice cream.

Still planning to do the apple crisp in the pie pan.

Thanks Marina for the sugar advice!

danagee is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

And when u have no ingredients for baked things, make applesauce! Just peel, slice then simmer on stove or crock pot, then smush once soft!

Quote Originally Posted by danagee View Post
    And when u have no ingredients for baked things, make applesauce! Just peel, slice then simmer on stove or crock pot, then smush once soft!
    Yeah that. I'm not a fan of red delicious at all for eating raw or baking (too grainy/mushy and not tart enough for baking), but I would gladly put them in a steamer until soft, puree with a tsp of lemon juice and enjoy the fresh applesauce for my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by danagee View Post
    Yes, I was thinking applesauce. I don't have any lemons but can easily get one from my mom when I pick up DS after work tonight. Thanks Danagee and Specialp!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I sometimes saute on the stovetop, sprinkle with some thyme, and serve it sort of savory with pork tenderloin.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast