Default Diaper Over Underwear?

My son (2 years, 1 month) is just starting to show signs of wanting to go to the potty. He'll say "potty, potty, potty" but it's usually after he pooped. If we put him on the potty to pee, sometimes he'll go, sometimes he won't...but when he does, he cheers for himself (so he definitely is beginning to connect it with a positive experience).

His twin sister, on the other hand, could care less. She'll sit on the potty, but usually gets up after a minute, opens the cabinet where I keep their diapers and tries to put one on herself.

Anyone try underwear under diapers - so at least they can feel the wet? How did it go?

I've never heard of that, but it seems like a bad idea. Confusing to them.

Anyway, 25 months is pretty early to potty train. I mean it's great for your DS, but I wouldn't expect it of your DD.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I've never heard of that, but it seems like a bad idea. Confusing to them.

Anyway, 25 months is pretty early to potty train. I mean it's great for your DS, but I wouldn't expect it of your DD.
    Totally agree. Potty training seems more all or nothing and ime it worked well to go commando while training and then introduce undies a month or so in. I got this from the Oh Crap potty training ebook and was skeptical at first but it really works.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

There's a line in a movie, don't say you're "trying" to quit smoking. Either you quit, or not. There is no "try".
    I feel the same way about potty training..... use diapers, or use underpants. Never both. And pullups are just expensive diapers.

I wouldn't wait for him to tell you he's ready to go, I'd do the "take them to sit on the potty every 20 minutes" method, for at least a few days, until he gets it. With underpants. There will be accidents, too, but that's part of the process.

I also think you're in that window where kids SEEM kind of ready, then give up until they're 3ish. It may take a few weeks of all-waking-hours persistence to make it stick for such a little one.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post

I wouldn't wait for him to tell you he's ready to go, I'd do the "take them to sit on the potty every 20 minutes" method, for at least a few days, until he gets it. With underpants. There will be accidents, too, but that's part of the process.

I also think you're in that window where kids SEEM kind of ready, then give up until they're 3ish. It may take a few weeks of all-waking-hours persistence to make it stick for such a little one.
    I think she was wondering about underpants for her girl twin, who isn't really showing readiness.

OP, have you looked into 3 day potty training? It worked for us. We threw out the diapers (literally, the girls put them in the trash) and away we went! Days one and two were a nightmare. Day three, we went to Trader Joe's sans diapers. But I still say if your 25 month old DD isn't interested, don't push it at this point. But yay for your DS!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i agree with the 3 day potty training idea. gotta go cold turkey. i'm not sure what purpose putting underpants on under a diaper would serve, other then to make the child very uncomfortable. let her go comando in your home. require her to sit on the potty every 20 mins. cheer cheer cheer the successes and they will both get it. i sit with them at first, when they are on the potty. sing songs, read books. sometimes getting them to think about something else and relax will help them to go.

or, if your not that dedicated right now for your dd, just put her on the potty several times a day. key times, like right when getting up or going to sleep, before/after meals and snacks, when coming home or going somewhere. she will start to learn what to do but you won't have any accidents to clean up yet.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We didn't buy the official 3 day book but went cold turkey. Took 6 days before suddenly something clicked when ds2 was 3yo. We did all the right things in those days but he just didn't care. Just chiming in in case something magical doesn't happen in 3 days.