♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default (Lego?) bday gift for 4yo boy ?

not for my DS, but for a joint bday party this weekend. dh is OOT, work is busy and thus i have zero time to go shopping IRL. the only thing i know about them is they are ds's classmates...turn 4, not twins but are good friends with similar bdays. Party will be at one of those Lego building centers, so I assuming they love Legos Am looking to spend $12 ish each (hopefully score a good deal and find something that is worth more like $20). Probably has to be Amazon Prime since party is on Sunday. Any deals, ideas??

baileygirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

thank you for the links! the superman one looks perfect. ds is always talking about how his friends are into superheroes,etc. thank you!!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

They probably do enjoy Legos but I would most likely chose a different gift as they are at the lowest age group Legos are designed for and also many people will likely have the same thought! I would probably go with a different gift altogether. Thinking....
    K

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm not sure I would give the Lego sets designed for age 6+. Those pieces will be super tiny and I don't know that a 4-year-old could handle them. DS is 5.5 and still enjoys Duplo along with the regular Legos that are specifically labeled age 4+.

What about the Lego Ideas Book? People here like it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/075668...6824247&sr=8-1
    DS age 9

I think the 6+ sets would be too hard for many newly 4 year olds. I would get a Lego set that's labeled 4+ or maybe a small Lego City set that is 5+.

One of the Lego books is a good idea too.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

this is interesting.... see i was actually worried that Duplos would be too baby-ish for a 4yo. we have a ton of duplos here for both kids..and ds will be 4 in Jan and has decided he wants only the small legos. he still plays with Duplos bc that is all what we have, but every other day he keeps saying he wants the small ones. he gets to plays with them at daycare when he goes to the Kindergarten classroom at the end of the day. only reason we haven't bought them for him was bc of the choking hazards and DD. dh's aunt gave him a huge set of Lego-knockoffs over thanksgiving and ds loved them (Even though they were super cheap knockoff nowhere near quality as lego). i think a lot of it is that Lego has more "specialized"pieces like wheels, antennae, lights, what have you, and "themes" (superman, etc), and more realistic looking things whereas Duplo has more basic blocks. i agree though, i couldn't get over how TINY some of the pieces were and idea of keeping track of them..ai yi yi. Seriously, it's almost scary how many small pieces there are. But apparently ds likes this. It's funny, i LOVED loved, LOVED Legos as a kid,but now, as a parent..i see Lego = parent's nightmare. Ha.

Dh also was curious about the bday party at a lego building place, as he too thought was primarly geared for older kids (6+), given some of the complex structures etc displayed in there (and all the classes seemed to be only available for school-aged kids, during the summer). will be interesting to see how it goes.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 12-12-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    this is interesting.... see i was actually worried that Duplos would be too baby-ish for a 4yo. we have a ton of duplos here for both kids..and ds will be 4 in Jan and has decided he wants only the small legos. he still plays with Duplos bc that is all what we have, but every other day he keeps saying he wants the small ones. he gets to plays with them at daycare when he goes to the Kindergarten classroom at the end of the day. only reason we haven't bought them for him was bc of the choking hazards and DD. dh's aunt gave him a huge set of Lego-knockoffs over thanksgiving and ds loved them (Even though they were super cheap knockoff nowhere near quality as lego). i think a lot of it is that Lego has more "specialized"pieces like wheels, antennae, lights, what have you, and "themes" (superman, etc), and more realistic looking things whereas Duplo has more basic blocks. i agree though, i couldn't get over how TINY some of the pieces were and idea of keeping track of them..ai yi yi. Seriously, it's almost scary how many small pieces there are. But apparently ds likes this. It's funny, i LOVED loved, LOVED Legos as a kid,but now, as a parent..i see Lego = parent's nightmare. Ha.

Dh also was curious about the bday party at a lego building place, as he too thought was primarly geared for older kids (6+), given some of the complex structures etc displayed in there (and all the classes seemed to be only available for school-aged kids, during the summer). will be interesting to see how it goes.
    I wouldn't give a duplo set as a gift to a 4yo either. There are regular lego sets for ages 4+. When in doubt, I would err toward giving a more advanced gift.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

*wry* My 6 year old got his first real LEgos for his birthday this year (SuperHeroes and Star Wars)... and he most plays with Duplos with his little sister. In fact, he recently asked to receive NO Legos for Christmas.

I think we should have gotten him City first. I stayed at the lower age level of the themes and got themes because he likes the ships and characters... But I think he's overwhelmed with the building. Small city sets have easier building.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't think anyone is suggesting buying Duplo for this child, only that he may still play with Duplos he already has and may not be ready for "older" Lego sets.

I agree that all the guests may be thinking, "Ooh, Lego theme-- I'll get him some Legos!" and that something completely different might be best. If you really want to do Legos, the most generic general brick set you can find might be best. All Lego fans can always use extra pieces that don't necessarily go with a theme.

I remember a birthday party for DS's friend--the boy got 7 of the exact same Star Wars Lego set. (Yep, it had been on sale that week.) Thank goodness we had enclosed a gift receipt. Then again, it was an X-wing fighter, so maybe he just kept the "fleet"!
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"