happymomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Wii U or Nintendo 3DS for 10 year old DS

I finally got the Nintendo 3DS for DS (he already has the DSi and Ipad Mini). However, he has been asking for the Nintendo 3DS because of the new Pokemon game that he wants to play.

However, now he has said that he doesn't want the 3DS but likes the Nintendo Wii U. We have the Wii but we rarely play it. Does the Nintendo Wii U require 2 people to play? I am just so confused about what to get him for Christmas now. I thought it was all set with the 3DS.

Would you recommend the Wii U? How is it different from the Wii? Is it much better?

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, the good thing about either option is that your old systems (wii and dsi) are all compatible with the 3ds and the wii u. You can play one player with the wii u. We have an old wii, but my kids really want to play disney infinity and the older wii version is lame (cannot access all of the features). We talked about going playstation (dh likes the playstation, we have a ps3, that we use purely for media), BUT that would require buying not only the new system, but a bunch of controllers, new games etc.. We decided to go wii U, b/c all of our old wii controllers (it has to be the newer ones that have wii plus), will work on the wii u and they can still play the games that we have from the wii on the wii u. If it is just one person, they can just play on the main wii controller (like a hand held game), if they want to, although I am not sure if you need to be close by to the main console unit or not (my kids have ds lites, so they use those outside of our house). However, if you only have one tv and you want to watch tv and your son wants to play wii u, he can play wii u w/o using the tv, he can just use the handheld unit (only for one person though).

IDK, to me, the dsi and 3ds, are just too similar. If it were really btwn the dsi and wii u, in your case, I would go with the wii u.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

happymomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Well, the good thing about either option is that your old systems (wii and dsi) are all compatible with the 3ds and the wii u. You can play one player with the wii u. We have an old wii, but my kids really want to play disney infinity and the older wii version is lame (cannot access all of the features). We talked about going playstation (dh likes the playstation, we have a ps3, that we use purely for media), BUT that would require buying not only the new system, but a bunch of controllers, new games etc.. We decided to go wii U, b/c all of our old wii controllers (it has to be the newer ones that have wii plus), will work on the wii u and they can still play the games that we have from the wii on the wii u. If it is just one person, they can just play on the main wii controller (like a hand held game), if they want to, although I am not sure if you need to be close by to the main console unit or not (my kids have ds lites, so they use those outside of our house). However, if you only have one tv and you want to watch tv and your son wants to play wii u, he can play wii u w/o using the tv, he can just use the handheld unit (only for one person though).

IDK, to me, the dsi and 3ds, are just too similar. If it were really btwn the dsi and wii u, in your case, I would go with the wii u.
    Thanks! The reason that I got the 3DS is because the new games don't work with the old DSi. So the DSi is no longer good for new games. I guess it seems that the kids don't really use the Wii that we've had for the past 3 years.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 11 year old son has both the 3DS and Wii U. He goes in spurts which one is most used. The Wii U doesn't require 2 players for most games. Right now it is the Wii U is getting used most because he is playing the new Super Mario 3D World game. He will beat that soon, and then it's a toss up. He does have Pokémon Y for the 3DS but that doesn't seem to be holding his interest as much. I think it really depends on which new games interest your son the most, and if he wants to have a new portable system. If I had to pick only one I would go with the 3DS especially since you have the Wii already and it doesn't get used a lot. I don't think there are too many "must have" games for Wii U right now that aren't also available on the old Wii.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Wii U or Nintendo 3DS for 10 year old DS

The 2DS is great and a lot cheaper.

We have a Wii that gets lots of love. I have a WiiU for my 11yo but undecided if we will give it. Might find something better and cheaper.

The only reason I bought the new Eii U is the new games aren't compatible with the Wii. The WiiU can play Wii and WiiU games, which is handy. What game does he want for the WiiU?