Default Wide recliner glider?

Is there such a thing? The hand me down rocker I was given just was never comfortable. I told DH with the next child we are splurging and getting a super comfortable one since I was in our old glider every 1-3 hours in the middle of the night.

I would like one that would be wide enough to allow my 3 yo to sit with me and cuddle up to read stories but all the ones I've tried sitting on seem to only fit me with a baby on my lap. I would love for my LO to sit next to me especially since I do have a 21 week belly and it's just not feasible for her to sit on my lap.

Any suggestions?

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm not sure about the glider market, but we used La-Z-Boy rocking recliners with our kids and found them to be the most comfortable. We spent many, many hours in the chairs. They have a few styles that are wider and may allow your LO to sit next to you, but mostly we bought smaller chairs and I just placed a pillow on my lap + over the arm of the chair to create a wider seat while I was pregnant. The pillow cushioned the arm rest but also made the arrangement easier for me to sit with my Ds and read.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

PBK has a larger version of their rockers/gliders. I think they are called the "grand" version.

I would say skip the glider altogether. They just aren't that comfortable. I had a $$$ Dutalier for DD1 and it still sucked, especially after hours up in the middle of the night. For DD2 I got a rocking recliner from La-Z-Boy and it is awesome. It is so comfy! I love it.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd get the Dutalier XL!! It's a wide glider/rocker, and the ottoman comes with a nursing stool you can slide out. I think BabiesR Us has them, and you can try it out. We loved ours so much we bought two, one for each kids room !

We bought the XL mainly because it was wide enough to accommodate me sitting it in with the My Brest Friend nursing pillow (which wraps around the body). Also, it is wide enough for toddler to sit next to me and not on my lap. Even now 4yo DS can sit next to me on it, and DD can sit on my lap, so we can all fit comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I would say skip the glider altogether. They just aren't that comfortable. I had a $$$ Dutalier for DD1 and it still sucked, especially after hours up in the middle of the night. For DD2 I got a rocking recliner from La-Z-Boy and it is awesome. It is so comfy! I love it.
    Huh, I had the complete opposite experience! DH & I both LOVED our Dutalier XL (that we kept in DS's room) so much that we bought a 2nd one for when DD was born (as we still wanted to keep one in DS's room for nighttime). We did put small sofa pillows near the bottom to help support our backs.

I know many say to skip the glider/rocker but I can't imagine not having one..I fell asleep in there rocking or nursing DS or DD so many times, and the reclining feature w/ ottoman was so useful for that. It was invaluable too when a kid was sick..they would ask us to be rocked in it (helped so it would keep them upright so they could breathe better)...that way i could get some sleep too! The built-in nursing stool was also invaluable..i'd be sure to get an ottoman that has this.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-07-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks! I may just go back to buy buy baby and see if they have more chairs in to test out.

Maybe I'm not calling it right by referring to it as recliner glider? But I have a hand me down glider and it's not comfortable at all (but I appreciate the gesture from my BIL and his wife). I'm set on an upholstered one that reclines and glides - basically something with thick cushioning that won't slide around on a Wooden glider base. And I prefer the ones with a footrest coming out since I dislike having the ottoman with the recliner - I'm all about space saving especially since this chair is first going into our master bedroom for now.

Maybe I'm not calling it right by referring to it as recliner glider?
    I think you just want a rocking recliner, not a glider at all. We have both, I bought a recliner for DS and then a used glider for DD's room. I was one of the ones who just couldn't get comfy in the gliders I tried while shopping, they made me and DH seasick. But the one I ended up buying used is ok. I also find some recliners to be incredibly uncomfortable. I think the key is to find a chair (glider, recliner, etc.) that fits your body, especially if you are shorter or taller. Make sure your legs reach the floor comfortably, the cushion isn't hitting your thighs/knees in a weird way, etc. etc. In addition to looking at BBB, I'd look at some reg. furniture stores.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

The Little Castle Cottage chair is wide and soooooo comfy. I tried it at the store on Saturday and nearly fell asleep.

Default Wide recliner glider?

My chair is a Little Castle, too. It's basically an upholstered armchair that rocks. Mine doesn't recline (which would have been a great feature), and I bought an ottoman for it. The chair itself was a gift. I LOVE that chair!!!

ETA: mine is a glider, I guess, because it's on a round base, not rockers. It swivels and rocks and is just super comfy to sit in.
    Last edited by 123LuckyMom; 02-05-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Thank you. I actually ordered about 3-4 weeks ago. Went with the Little Castle Buckingham glider/recliner. It was so comfortable. Much more than I wanted to spend but I suffered in a hand me down chair with DD and swore I would spring for a better chair with the next baby. I originally wanted the Little Castle Mod recliner but when I found it in store, it wasn't that comfortable for me. The Buckingham isn't the style I wanted but it's so comfortable I had to get it. It's not as wide as I'd like but it's a bit of a squeeze but I can still have DD sit with me while I read a story. Definitely won't be able to sit with DD and Baby though.