wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default What baby doll for a 5 year old?

Many of DD's friends are getting Amercan Girl dolls for tChristmas. I am not going to get one for her- they are nice but she doesn't even know what they are yet, so why introduce it?

I did pick up some baby accessories I think she'll like to play with, and she's not into of the baby dolls she has now. Including Corelle Emma (the one that uses a potty) , a cabbage patch bays and a few others. I'd like to get her a new baby doll. But the ones of Amazon seem a little young. I think she'd want something bigger and more baby like than the 12 inch dolls. What would be a good choice for an older kid? I saw American Girl has a baby doll (Bitty Baby), is it really worth $80??
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What about an AG knock off? DD has one from TRU and it's very sweet looking. I wanna say it's about $30.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I should add that DD is totally into babies, so I might not be the best person to ask. She has a larger Corolle doll that I got on a fantastic sale, and it still gets daily play. Personally, I wouldn't spend $80 on a doll...but they are very nice
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My DD is 5 - she LOVES dolls and plays with them daily. She has a Corolle Calin (12 inch) that she got when she was 1 that is still the favorite, but she also has a Bitty Baby (15 inch) and the Bitty Baby twins (15 inch - still baby dolls but with hair) that get daily play. We have the Corolle Emma from the potty training days, but that one doesn't get much play at all and I think it is bc it doesn't have a soft body. We also have a Corolle Classique (14 inch) with hair that is nice too and DD likes her too, but she doesn't get quite as much play as the Bitty dolls or her Calin.

I would probably go with either a Bitty Baby or a Bitty Baby twin (I have read that you can buy one rather than too). The Corolle Classique dolls would also be an option bc they are bigger but still have a soft body and have choices with and without hair I think. Not sure about the price difference. HTH!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Not sure if it was a good idea or a bad one, but I ended up splitting the difference between baby and AG-type dolls and got her this:
    http://www.potterybarnkids.com/produ...oMerchRules-_-
    18 inches, cute enough to be a playmate, soft enough to treat like a baby.

BUT if anyone sees any good deals on baby dolls, keep me in mind!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Those dolls are so sweet!

I got our Bitty Babies back when they were $40!!! I can't believe they have raised the price to $80.

Not really a "bargain", but I have always loved the Gotz Muffin dolls. There are "regular" Muffins, which are more traditional baby doll, as well as the "Maxy Muffin" which is a bit bigger, more BB sized: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ds=gotz%20baby
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)