Default $50 to spend on 3 1/2 y.o. Dd (plasma car?)

In addition to a present, my parents sent each kid $50. Ds is ten and will decide for himself. But I need to figure out what to get dd. She turns four in April.

She's got unit blocks galore and trains left over from ds. We have magnatiles. She hates dress up clothes. She's got a lot of books. She's getting a wooden castle from Santa. She has a couple of dolls and they get some play time but not tons. She likes stuffed animals, but she has way more than she needs already.

I might put the money towards a class, but I think my parents and dd would like it if I bought a toy.

What about a plasma car? We have a trike and a balance bike and she's not into them. Think she would like the plasma car?

Thanks!
    Catherine

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

yes awesome!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have two and they are a huge hit with 1-at least 6 year olds at playdates. One friend even purchased one for her 4 yo on her smartphone while the kids played.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS really got in to his plasma car this past summer, and he is just a little older than your DD. Prior to that he did not take to his tricycle or scooter. But since the plasma car doesn't require peddling, it has been much easier and much more fun for him. He uses his feet to push himself if he wants to go faster, but he is good at using it without his feet, too. I think it would be a good idea for your DD.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Not a hit here with either kids or on play dates. I think there have been other threads which found an equal number of posts from those that love it and those that didn't.

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Plasma cars haven't been a hit for my 3.5 yo dd. Doll play and kitchen play (play food, etc) gets the most love, but she also enjoys art supplies, art kits, puzzles, and doll houses.

Just for some other ideas.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

We are pretty well stocked on play food from ds. She's mildly interested in that stuff, but I don't think adding to it would be worthwhile at this point. Art stuff is a possibility. IKEA's easel is on sale until Christmas and I didn't keep ds' easel. But I'm not sure where I would put it. We have the basics for art already, paint (finger, tempura and watercolor), markers, crayons, oil pastels, paper, stamps, pipe cleaners. That stuff gets quite a bit of use, but I don't know that we need any more of it. I could do more stickers, but $50 on stickers is a lot and she would just use all of them up in one big sticker fest on a random piece of paper in like ten minutes.

Puzzles are the bane of my existence because she and her brother strew the pieces all of the house in some other random game and just create toy soup. I actually threw a bunch of puzzles away about six months ago because I could not find all the pieces and it was driving me nuts. She goes to preschool and I decided puzzles could be a school thing.

Hmm. Still thinking.

Thanks,
    Catherine

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Both my kids have liked the plasma car at that age (and DD still does at 5.5) so I think that could be a good option.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think part of the popularity of plasma cars may be tied to your floor plan and amount of open non carpeted space. My kids ride them on a concrete basement floor and tgey have a decent space to roll around. I dont think they would get as much love on the main floor of our house with lots of furniture, carpet, rugs.

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    I think part of the popularity of plasma cars may be tied to your floor plan and amount of open non carpeted space. My kids ride them on a concrete basement floor and tgey have a decent space to roll around. I dont think they would get as much love on the main floor of our house with lots of furniture, carpet, rugs.

It would be an outdoor toy for us. The weather here allows for outdoor play nearly year around (a couple of months of rain when she wouldn't be able to use it every day, but probably still about half the time). And we have a decent driveway area she could use for it.

Thanks everyone!
    Catherine