diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default what do you guys use to wash down there?

jjust was reading about someone using lactyd a feminine wash from europe to wash, what do you guys use? i just use plain water and soap maybe in the shower, thats it. never used a douche in my life

recently I having an uncomfortable sensation down there not pain but sort of itching, light stunging/burning. Not sure if its in the vagina or urinary canal? I have never had a yeast infection in my life and dont think it is. No foul smell, no discharge etc...i had uti twice in my life and know how it stings when peeing, this does not seem like it, also I have no fever, am fine. I am already doing lots of water, cranberry pills, probiotics. I feel like putting cold water down there will give relief. Has anyone felt anything like this, what helped?

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

No idea, but could you talk with a nurse at your general practitioner's office? Maybe she could recommend some type of relief?

I only use water, and occasionally baby wash if I'm needing extra cleaning for some reason. Anything beyond that stings me bad!

When I have just a general irritation down there (it's happened a lot over the last 6 months!), I usually use diaper cream/ointment of some type, whatever we have laying around. At the moment, we have A&D because we bought a big tube for the grandbabies. If cooling sounds like it would be helpful, there's a cream called "Calmoseptine" that you can get at mom-n-pop pharmacies (usually anywhere that would carry medical things for seniors, but not at places like Target or Walmart). It's a barrier protectant with menthol in it, and soothes, protects, and keeps the area feeling cool. I haven't bought a tube recently, but I remember loving it in the past when I would get irritated down there.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

I have been battling down there for a year and a half. It started with a yeast infection from working in the yard for several days in the heat, then went to bacterial, and has been uncomfortable since then. I've been to the OB many times and they never find anything vaginally. I noticed a little bit of what I though was toilet paper stuck to my lady bits and noticed that when I noticed it I was itching more. I tried to wipe it away but it was stuck. It occurred to me that I had a localized yeast infection on the outer areas, not in the V. I treated topically and it went away. I occasionally have to treat it, and I think that night sweats play a role.

Do not douche.

Your body has flora normally down there - bacteria and yeast that's natural. Douching or washing internally will strip this away and you mess with your vaginal pH and risk infections.

If it smells or has funky discharge, something is going on and you should see a doctor.

Otherwise just regular showering using mild body soap and water outside is good enough.

(Btw, I'm a healthcare provider.)

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a re-occurring problem with yeast infections and UTIs. I only use Ivory soap "down there"
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have that every now and then, totally frustrating. I switch from thongs to grannies until it's gone (usually by my next period), and only use water or that real gentle nonfoaming soap-type stuff (Cetaphil?) to wash with.
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

Have you been taking Vitamin C this season? I had an experience a few years back where I felt burning down there as well as in my bladder area and was convinced I had a UTI (I have never experienced a yeast infection ever). Tests did not come back with an infection and the astute OBGYN suggested that the vitamin c I had been taking every day might be irritating. Sure enough, I stopped taking Vitamin C and all the discomfort subsided.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Water and the suds that wash off my body. I don't purposefully use soap. I was told to be careful of soap as too much can cause irritation.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Water and the suds that wash off my body. I don't purposefully use soap. I was told to be careful of soap as too much can cause irritation.
    Same here ... I just clean the area with water in the shower. I am prone to yeast infections. You might have a mild yeast infection. You could have a mild yeast infection/irritation just on the labia as opposed to internal. I got a cream once from my OB/Gyn it was Nystatin and something else, I had a lot of external irritation.