Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default 3 yo birthday party--hot dogs or pigs in blankets?

The party place we wanted for DD's party only had a 12 noon time slot left--so I'm serving a little lunch to 2-3-4 yos (12-15 of total) in addition to cupcakes. I am sure many/most of them will want to play instead of eat but might come back to nibble here and there. Do you think I should serve hot dogs or pigs in blankets? DD is allergic to cheese so I'd rather not serve pizza or mac and cheese. I was thinking pretzels and maybe fruit kabobs also?
    K

I think pigs in a blanket and fruit kabobs would be great for little hands (and little mouths). My 4 year old still has trouble eating a hot dog without squeezing the hot dog out of the bun. Plus there's something so cute about those little pigs in a blanket (Lil' smokies and crescent rolls, right?)!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Is there another choice since hot dogs can be choking hazards? I'd hesitate to serve to a 2yo where kids and grown ups may be more distracted than usual.

I would do pigs in a blanket because they don't require sitting and eating for a while. More grab and go, which would work better for your party.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Is there another choice since hot dogs can be choking hazards? I'd hesitate to serve to a 2yo where kids and grown ups may be more distracted than usual.
    I would be terrified to serve hot dogs to toddlers, especially when they are wanting to run around and are excited.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    This. My first thought upon reading your post was that they're too young for hotdogs in any form, unless you are planning to quarter them lengthwise for each kid. I still do that for Ds who is almost 6, since hotdogs are one of the top choking hazards for kids under 4.

At that age we mostly did chicken nuggets and pasta.
    Last edited by edurnemk; 12-29-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    This. My first thought upon reading your post was that they're too young for hotdogs in any form, unless you are planning to quarter them lengthwise for each kid. I still do that for Ds who is almost 6, since hotdogs are one of the top choking hazards for kids under 4.

At that age we mostly did chicken nuggets and pasta.
    Hot dogs freak me out for little kids due to the choking hazard thing. I wouldn't be able to let the kids eat them without cutting them lengthwise and then into pieces. And that would be so time consuming and awkward with their parents standing there. I cut older ds' until he was five!

What about sandwiches cut into fun shapes? Or pita chips, veggies and hummus?

Catherine

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had a friend laugh at me for suggesting not serving hot dogs at a 2 yr olds bday party....an hour later another friends DH who is a heart surgeon echoed exactly what I said, saying you wouldn't believe how many chokings he sees from them at the hospital where he works.

Common lunch entrees at toddler parties here, besides pizza, are PB&J sandwiches cut in cute shapes, and chicken nuggets.
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for all the feedback! My sister had suggested pigs in a blanket and I had thought about hot dogs as an easier alternative, totally not thinking of the choking hazard! I still cut up the ones I send to school (no buns) for lunches b/c even big kids get talking and laughing and distracted and I hate to think what could happen. For the pigs, I was planning on cutting the hot dogs in half both ways--including lengthwise--and thinking that would make it safer for little people.
    K

I would skip both alternatives. We knows many parents who don't do hot dog products at all, cut or not, because of nitrates etc. and it just isn't something fed at parties here. I'd do chicken fingers if you want meat or cheese for protein with the young age group and turkey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast