Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Weighted blanket recommendation?

I am thinking about ordering a weighted blanket to try. I'm actually a little interested in it myself - I've felt a little restless in my sleep and feel like I am craving deep pressure. I think DS9 might also like it as something to calm and relax him when he feels anxious. Can anyone recommend a company to order from, as well as a weight to try? I was looking at www. magicblanket.com at the 8-10 lb. weight.

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I cannot say enough good things about our blanket from DreamCatcher. http://www.weightedblanket.net/

When I decided to get DS a weighted blanket I researched a whole bunch of products and companies. I chose DreamCatcher for the following reasons:

- They have spent a lot of time developing their design, process, and how to recommend a weight.
    - Their design provides even and consistent weight distribution.
    - Everything is totally customizable: size, fabric, weight. They have thousands of fabrics to choose from.
    - They use virgin Poly Pro Pellets, which is safe, makes the blanket heavy without being bulky, and can be machine washed and dried.
    - The founders are the parents of a special needs child (now young adult) and they understand the issues families face
    - They offer a trade up/exchange credit when your child needs a heavier blanket.

DS has a twin-sized 8 lbs blanket with train themed fabric. Before we got the blanket, he would wake up every 2 hours because he needed a hug. With the blanket he went to waking up once during the night. Now he sleeps through the night. We are all getting so much more sleep. We've been using this blanket for 2 years. DS has vomited and bled (nosebleeds) on his blanket and it always washes up beautifully.

They are more expense than some of the other brands, but I think for the quality it is worth it. You can follow them on Facebook they often post discounts and giveaways.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I followed Gena's advice and we have 2 -- they are great
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Thanks ladies! I will check them out. This is the company I was looking at: http://www.beanblanket.com/index.html. I talked to the owner today on the phone and he was really helpful.

Just curious, what weight did you end up choosing? I have read all of the guidelines and suggestions. I'm still not sure. Planning to use for calming, relaxing at first, maybe sleep if he likes it.

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you want to try one out for yourself, you could also purchase a Korean "mink" blanket. All of my boys have them. I bought the Solaron brand ones through amazon after doing a lot of research. Here's a link to one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Solaron-Solid-...s=solaron+twin

My youngest has serious sensory issues and needs lots of input/weight to sleep. In addition to the mink blanket he has a true weighted blanket. I purchased it online, but can't remember which store. It's fleece and has held up really well. I'll see if I can find the name of the store and edit my post later today.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by inmypjs View Post
    Just curious, what weight did you end up choosing? I have read all of the guidelines and suggestions. I'm still not sure. Planning to use for calming, relaxing at first, maybe sleep if he likes it.
    DS (age 9.5) has an 8 lbs twin-sized blanket. We got it 2 years ago, when he was almost 50 lbs. Now he's right around 60 lbs and it's still working well for him. I probably could have had it made a little heavier. I'm thinking he might need a heavier blanket in another year or so.

In most cases you start with 10% of the user's weight plus 1 lbs. From there, you adjust based on the user's needs, height, and what size blanket you plan to get. For example, you would want a twin sized blanket to be heavier than a lap blanket, since the weight is distributed through the entire piece. A full size blanket would be even heavier than a twin.

DreamCathchers helped me figure out the weight for DS's blanket when I ordered. They have some general guidelines here: http://www.weightedblanket.net/weigh...nket_user.html
    Gena

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

My son is 9 and is 67 lbs. Not sure of his exact height but he is tall and skinny. I was thinking of 10 or 12 lbs but I'm just not sure.

kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think I want to get one for myself!! I HAVE to sleep with a heavy down pillow on my legs, not sure why since I've never been a restless sleeper (lol probably cause I have had the weight of the pillow on my legs for at least 10 yrs now) but that just seems easier to keep on me at night. I notice when the pillow falls on the floor and it's enough to wake me up to grab it and put it back 'in place'. Would just a lap blanket be fine for this? I'm totally loving this idea! Plus ds1 has ADD and when he get super mad it's hard to calm him down and he buries himself under blankets and pillows, I think a lap size would benefit both of us!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)

Quote Originally Posted by inmypjs View Post
    My son is 9 and is 67 lbs. Not sure of his exact height but he is tall and skinny. I was thinking of 10 or 12 lbs but I'm just not sure.
    What size blanket are you planning to get? Does your son crave deep pressure?
    Gena

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast