Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kboyle View Post
    I think I want to get one for myself!! I HAVE to sleep with a heavy down pillow on my legs, not sure why since I've never been a restless sleeper (lol probably cause I have had the weight of the pillow on my legs for at least 10 yrs now) but that just seems easier to keep on me at night. I notice when the pillow falls on the floor and it's enough to wake me up to grab it and put it back 'in place'. Would just a lap blanket be fine for this? I'm totally loving this idea! Plus ds1 has ADD and when he get super mad it's hard to calm him down and he buries himself under blankets and pillows, I think a lap size would benefit both of us!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you have Restless Leg Syndrome? I think that DreamCatchers has a special method for making weighted blankets for RLS. IIRC, instead of the weight being distributed throughout the blanket, it is concentrated on the lower half. A smaller blanket would probably work too, if it stays in place all night. I think a lap blanket might be too small, maybe something the size of a throw or a shawl? Different companies have different sizes and call them different things, so you would have to check the websites to see what's available.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I guess I don't know what he craves. When he gets upset or anxious, he will hide and has recently started to bite his arm. He likes to be held close. He sleeps well but moves around a ton. I wanted to try it as a calming technique first and then if he liked it maybe sleep. He has a lot of big emotions and gets overwhelmed sometimes. I actually thought about trying it too!

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by inmypjs View Post
    I guess I don't know what he craves. When he gets upset or anxious, he will hide and has recently started to bite his arm. He likes to be held close. He sleeps well but moves around a ton. I wanted to try it as a calming technique first and then if he liked it maybe sleep. He has a lot of big emotions and gets overwhelmed sometimes. I actually thought about trying it too!
    Weighted blankets for calming (daytime use) are usually smaller and lighter than blankets for calming and sleeping. I would guess that something in the 8-10 lbs range would be good for your DS. I'm not an OT or an expert, so that's just a guess. If he's sleeping well and you want something for daytime use, a throw or a shawl might be a good size. It depends on your budget as well, since larger and heavier blankets are more expensive.

I love laying under DS's weighted blanket. It feels so good!
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2