Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I definitely ended up getting a little "over-assigned" for this shindig! Admittedly, it's partially my own fault. I never should have suggested toppings for mac & cheese!! I made myself way too busy & stressed over this.

I searched for a good crockpot recipe without luck. I knew Costco mac & cheese would be good, but the big size wasn't huge. I bought two of them, and it didn't look like enough. So I spent a ton more time trying to figure out how to make a whole bunch myself. I ended up going to Wegmans and getting THREE family/party size trays of frozen Stouffers, which was my favorite when I was younger. I cooked them at home and put them all together in a much bigger roasting pan. Should have stopped there. I made a batch of caramelized onions and also slow roasted tomatoes. Both great, but neither touched at the party. They've been yummy at home, though! I did Ritz cracker crumbs, and those were well received.

I came home with probably 2/3 of one tray remaining. BUT, I still have the two Costco packs in the fridge. I'll freeze one and we'll eat the other tonight or tomorrow (since we had the other mac & cheese with the pulled pork last night).

Sooooo after I had mentioned a little pulled pork to the hostess, she called me later and asked if I could make more than I intended, so she would be able to skip getting a ham. Of course I said sure! But I totally took an easy way out on this one. I got a package from Costco of just pulled pork, no sauce, and added bbq sauce and put it in the crockpot. Unfortunately, I thought it was way too little, and I ran BACK to Costco and got two more packages.

We stayed late at the party and right before we left a couple good friends broke into the pork (with one person saying she tried it earlier and it was good). They kept some for later for themselves, and I took the crockpot full home.

Needless to say, I way over bought, the hostess way over-requested, and we'll be eating a bunch of mac & cheese along with pulled pork to kick off the New Year. "Very healthy way to kick off our eating in 2014." DH said sarcastically.

All in all, if anyone is faced with a situation like this in the future, I'd say the only thing I did right was to get the frozen Stouffers. If it were a smaller group, the Costco trays would have been adequate.
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I can't believe she had you pick up the BBQ so she could skip the ham. Was the party billed as a potluck? I'd only ever think I should bring a single batch of things for a party as most people just take a bit of each thing. If course, I think the hosts should have the main course or at least bear the bulk of the meal unless very clearly communicated otherwise.

It'll be nice to have meals ready to go in the freezer at least.

maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I can't believe she had you pick up the BBQ so she could skip the ham. Was the party billed as a potluck? I'd only ever think I should bring a single batch of things for a party as most people just take a bit of each thing. If course, I think the hosts should have the main course or at least bear the bulk of the meal unless very clearly communicated otherwise.

It'll be nice to have meals ready to go in the freezer at least.
    I totally agree!! But, I didn't mind too much, so it's ok. AND it was even MORE outrageous because when I responded that we would be coming to this party, I asked what to bring and then went on to detail the 4 things I was good at - a "skinny" but delicious buffalo chicken dip, apple cranberry crisp, boozy peach puree & the Prosecco to put it in for bellinis, or a fruit plate. The hostess said NO to all of my suggestions! That's how it all started. She's really something

Luckily, her husband is great to hang out with, they throw a good party, and we ended up having a very good time.

I'm inexperienced in the potluck realm, as strange as that sounds, because our regular group of friends just doesn't do things that are ALL potluck. So some of the blame definitely lies on me.

Off to take out tonight's costco mac and cheese.....
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well, I'm glad your $200 worth of dishes went well. I'm totally joking. As I was reading your update, I was laughing b/c I can totally relate as far as over-thinking something as small as a potluck dish to bring. I do it every.single.time so I'm happy to find company.

That hostess is something else having you bring the BBQ too. It would have been cheaper to take everyone out. (Not really, but I'm sure 5 pans of mac n cheese and BBQ pork and the toppings cost you a pretty penny.)
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

It doesn't sound like the hostesses fault if the OP offered to bring pulled pork, typically you can make quite a bit. I'm sure she didn't expect you to have to go to the amount of effort you did. I hate, despite, can't stand pot lucks and do not want people to bring anything when they come to an event here. When I've had to attend one,I too have a tendency to over think it and do too much, and when I host a party, I even overdo it more! Glad you can freeze the Mac and cheese and Stouffer's version is a guilty delicious pleasure!! ( I like the idea of having a non-potluck Mac and cheese bar too. )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2