Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default If Beco Gemini isn't working, should I try the Ergo?

DD1 tolerated carriers pretty well during her first year (Moby then Beco Gemini) but so far DD2 hates them. Iv'e tried the Moby with her in a few different positions but she was never happy. I've tried the Beco with her twice and she hasn't liked that either. Is the Ergo sufficiently different that she might like that? My life would be so much easier if she would consent to baby wearing.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't think the Ergo is that much different. My second hated every carrier I tried. I think some babies just don't like them. He loved being held, but the carriers just didn't do it for him.

Is there a baby wearing group in your area? If so, attend a meeting and you can try in a bunch of carriers. Our group has a lending library and tons if carriers.

What does she not like about the carriers? Are they comfy for you.

DS2 naps a lot in the carrier and I always wear him while grocery shopping since he HATES the car seat bucket. I have a pikkolo (left over from DS1) and I recently bought a wrap conversion mei tai, which is super comfy and cozy for both if us. He really Only wants to be worn at home if he's sleepy. Shopping he's happy to be work because it's better than being in the bucket.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What didn't she like about the carriers? I'd more inclined to look for solutions to her discomfort (has she seen a chiro?) than to try another carrier.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Well, I'm not really sure what she doesn't like. She loves to be held and carried all the time. But, as soon as she is in the carrier, she starts fussing. With the Moby, I feel like she was trying to stretch more against the fabric, and couldn't. With the Beco, she just started fussing, then crying, within a couple of minutes, and I didn't push it beyond that. I feel like I'm comfortable using both, especially since I had good experiences with her sister in both carriers.

DD2 also hates the bucket infant seat and doesn't love the stroller (bassinet or reclined seat). I would LOVE to wear her for grocery shopping or walks in the neighborhood but she's really not having it - she wants to be carried. If I was lucky, I could get maybe 20-30 minutes max in the Moby and so far she just rejects the Beco immediately.

No idea on the baby wearing group, but I'll look into it.
    Last edited by TxCat; 12-31-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013

We didn't get a Beco until DS was about a year because I hadn't heard of them before then. I'll say that he hated just about every other carrier I tried up until that point, and I'm sure it's because he couldn't see anything. He's always been an incredibly alert and curious kid. Do you think that's the reason DD2 is protesting? DS did like the Bjorn and I think that's mostly because he could see more in that. Unfortunately, noone's backs liked that one By the time we put him in a Beco he was sitting up better, and big enough to see more. He loved it.

The Ergo and Beco are similar (I've had both). The biggest difference IMO outside of the fit is the ease in which the adult can put them on loaded with baby. Personally, I found the Beco easier, but I can be a bit clumsy.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think the Gemini and Ergo are probably too similar to make a difference. Have you tried distraction? Bouncing? Singing? I'm sure you probably have, but with DS1 I had to get him distracted by taking him outside and then keep moving to keep him happy while being worn for a time. He outgrew that eventually and loved being worn without the song and dance.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    We didn't get a Beco until DS was about a year because I hadn't heard of them before then. I'll say that he hated just about every other carrier I tried up until that point, and I'm sure it's because he couldn't see anything. He's always been an incredibly alert and curious kid. Do you think that's the reason DD2 is protesting? DS did like the Bjorn and I think that's mostly because he could see more in that. Unfortunately, noone's backs liked that one By the time we put him in a Beco he was sitting up better, and big enough to see more. He loved it.
    You know, I hadn't thought of it before, but the not seeing might be the problem -she's very alert and has pretty good head control and loves looking around. She's basically 5 months and 16 lbs - still too small to turn facing out, right?
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TxCat View Post
    You know, I hadn't thought of it before, but the not seeing might be the problem -she's very alert and has pretty good head control and loves looking around. She's basically 5 months and 16 lbs - still too small to turn facing out, right?
    The facing out part isn't a function of baby's size as much as their head control and then the ergonomic strain on you. I used a Gemini facing out part of the time around 4 to 6 months with a 20 lb baby but even with the padded waist belt it was still hard on my back because baby's weight is more forward instead of leaning into you. I also found it hard to do much because my curious child grabbed at everything. I'd be pushing the grocery cart and would try to step away from it for a second to pick something up and he'd have a death grip on the cart handle.

I sometimes had better luck with a back carry in both the Ergo and Gemini. Both DC liked it while we were moving and it left my hands free. They both preferred front carry when sleepy.

I loved the ergo, BECO BB2, and the moby. My favorite was the K'tan. I kept it in my car at all times and wore my girls everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast