Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    The facing out part isn't a function of baby's size as much as their head control and then the ergonomic strain on you. I used a Gemini facing out part of the time around 4 to 6 months with a 20 lb baby but even with the padded waist belt it was still hard on my back because baby's weight is more forward instead of leaning into you. I also found it hard to do much because my curious child grabbed at everything. I'd be pushing the grocery cart and would try to step away from it for a second to pick something up and he'd have a death grip on the cart handle.

I sometimes had better luck with a back carry in both the Ergo and Gemini. Both DC liked it while we were moving and it left my hands free. They both preferred front carry when sleepy.
    Her head control is good but not great - I don't think she's ready for facing out quite yet.

It sounds like you had the Ergo and the Beco - any particular reason you ended up with both? I'm hoping I can get my hands on a borrowed Ergo this weekend to see if that is any more comfortable for DD2.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kaharris83 View Post
    I think the Gemini and Ergo are probably too similar to make a difference. Have you tried distraction? Bouncing? Singing? I'm sure you probably have, but with DS1 I had to get him distracted by taking him outside and then keep moving to keep him happy while being worn for a time. He outgrew that eventually and loved being worn without the song and dance.
    I do try and walk and do the "baby bop" to get her comfortable. It would sort of work temporarily for the moby but not for the Beco so far.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TxCat View Post
    Her head control is good but not great - I don't think she's ready for facing out quite yet.

It sounds like you had the Ergo and the Beco - any particular reason you ended up with both? I'm hoping I can get my hands on a borrowed Ergo this weekend to see if that is any more comfortable for DD2.
    Good question. I bought the Ergo for Ds1 and got the Gemini for ds2 to mostly try something different. I reused all of my clothes and gear and was itching for something new. (First World problems....)

I like both a lot but prefer the Gemini for the first year. I like the ability to fold in the panel for littler babes and the ability to face out came in handy for a few months for places like the aquarium. The head support in the Gemini was nicer for sleeping than the ergo hood. But the Ergo just seems more comfortable for older babies, easier to adjust for back carries and I prefer the Ergo buckle because I could do it one handed vs the safety button buckle on the Beco.

Both are good carriers and I don't know which I'd pick if doing it over. I wonder whether any other carriers on the market have the advantages of both but haven't had any reason to research.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a Gemini, Butterfly II, Soleil, and Ergo Performance. I keep the Ergo in my car because I feel like it is a quicker on and off and the Performance model isn't quite a bulky as my other carriers. Compared to my Gemini the Ergo back panel is shorter which could help her see out and around better. It's worth a try. If you don't end up being able to try a friend's and you have a buybuyBaby nearby, mine has Ergos to try. Target carries them in store now too.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TxCat View Post
    You know, I hadn't thought of it before, but the not seeing might be the problem -she's very alert and has pretty good head control and loves looking around. She's basically 5 months and 16 lbs - still too small to turn facing out, right?
    I would try snapping the carrier body down a bit or cinching the bottom so she's higher up & able to see over the top.

Alternately, if she has good head control & can sit up, you can do a back-carry in the Beco.

Also, if you can get your hands on a mei tei carrier, you may be able to do a high-back-carry with help from a baby wearing group/educator.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would give facing out a try. My DS1 hated carriers facing in... one we switched him to face out he loved it! I also would consider looking into a simple pouch (I still love my old Hotsling). While its not totally hands free, it helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2