Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Tell me more about this Tripp Trapp...

We are in the market for a high chair soon and I've never heard of these before the 'thank the BBB thread.'
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I like the Tripp Trapp as toddler chair (we got it when DD1 was 3 and I was expecting baby 2), but when I tried it as a high chair when DD2 was about 12 months old I found it a complete mess and since DD2 wasn't spoon fed much of anything (just yogurt really) I found that it would have only made a great high chair then had there been a tray, and the lone after market one was/is $90. Tripp Trapp now sells their own tray, but it has to be used with the baby set, which is an additional expense. So the price of the chair, $250+$70+50=$370 make it a pretty expensive high chair IMHO. However you can often find them used on Craigslist for about $200-$250 with the baby set and a maybe even a cover (oops, add in the cushion price of $45 and the total price of the chair comes to a WHOPPING $415!). It is a great chair, but honestly I would buy one used without all of the other stuff, okay, maybe the harness strap as that was pretty helpful until about just over 2 (for my DD2, DD1 rarely used it), but unless you were to find them on sale somewhere I would just buy one for your older DS and give your new baby the old high chair. DD1 ended up using the Tripp Trapp until she was around 4/1/2 and decided it was a baby seat, but it was still a nice option to have at our table and DD2 is still using at 3/1/2.

Another option is the KeekaRoo chair that comes with a tray, which when I tried it at a baby store didn't feel as sturdy as the Stokke or the Svan Chair, but in reality people here seem to like it so maybe the one at the store wasn't put together properly.

A plus for the Svan chair as well is that the cushion is the only additional needed accessory. Svan also now makes this chair which looks to not take up as much room as the original chair.

eta: we found the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster seat a must have for our kids and it is my go to baby gift for people having their first child and they love it too. So if you don't have one I highly recommend it. Both of our girls used it until they were about 2/1/2 when we were out or at random other times when we were at home.

Just an FYI if you are looking online and you see a Stokke Kinderzeat on sale it is the same seat, but doesn't come with the baby harness, it was the model that pre dated the current Tripp Trapp, but it would be perfect for your DS as long as he still doesn't need a harness, which at 2/1/2 he should be okay without one.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-03-2014 at 02:20 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Love ours, all three kids use them. I didn't get them with the girls until they were 2 so skipped the tray. With DS I got lucky and found a great deal at wayfair for the chair and baby set. Then later I got the tray for $15 at ecomom back when their prices were still ridiculous. So my cost was totally reasonable and I love the setup. I do think we would be in kind of spot without a tray for DS. So I totally get where Annie is coming from and money is very tight for us so these are very pricey. But we also homeschool so the ergonomic aspect really appeals to me for doing school at the kitchen table. We also used the harness for a ridiculously long time with DDs (they were at least 4). It sounds crazy but we made them very loose and I really think that helped us with continuing good eating habits and manners. So yes, I am definitely a fan, although I would definitely consider the Keekaroo as well.

We have 2 and I love them. We got our first as a gift when DS was born from DH's partner who had4 year old triplets (they had 3). We started using it for Dd (3) and it made mealtime much easier. We ended up buying a second one when DS was 18 months old because he was done with the high chair (which we had from DD) and he wanted a big kid chair like DD. So I've never used it for a baby. Right now we only have the trip trapps (sold the old high chair), so I think it's best for us to buy the baby attachments and tray. DD is almost 8 and doesn't sit in hers anymore (she can fit but I think she thinks it's babyish), so I have one that is not in use. DS2 is 4.5 months old, so I should start looking around for the baby set.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have one for each child and they still use them everyday. I don't get them until they are a yr old. My brother has the newer version with the tray, but I still think that it's hard to use when they aren't sitting up that well on their own. Anyway, we love them and just keep adjusting them as they get older. We will probably use them as desk chairs when they outgrow the need to use the footboard.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids don't like ours and won't sit on it.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    We are in the market for a high chair soon and I've never heard of these before the 'thank the BBB thread.'
    We bought one as it was recommended by our feeding therapist.
    We really didn't love ours as much as I had hoped. The main issue for us was that once DD3 turned 1, she could get out of the harness in 2 seconds flat. And since we didn't have the tray, there was not a second barrier to prevent her from standing up. I would go into the kitchen to get something, and by the time I walked back in, she would be standing up. I think if we had bought the tray, it may have worked better but we had already spent a bunch on the chair and the baby set, so I didn't want to spend another $90 on the tray.

We went to look at the keekaroo, but ultimately went with the Svan. So far, we have been happy with that. Although, it's seems to be pretty small compared to the stokke. We only switched about 2 months ago, so my use is a bit limited.
    Mama to 5 wild ones

Love The Tripp Trapps! I got two for great prices on CL. DD1 was 4, and has used it everyday since we got it. DD2, we have a Boon Flair also from CL and we used that for the first 15 months. Now she uses the Tripp Trapp. The cushions are completely useless IMHO, never used the tray or baby set. We also have a Svan and I don't like it as much ( I got it for $15 on a FB page.) We need three chairs because we use two at table and one at the desk. The girls go for the Tripp Trapp before the Svan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD1- 5/2008
    DD2- 3/2012
    Expecting a Boy July 2014!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We are stokke chair collectors, lol. We had a nice Peg Perego high chair for #1, but when she was 18+mos and we had another body at the table, we got our first on CL. Stokke is the only real markings people see, so search on that term. We've gotten others at yard sales, consignments sales, etc. from $30-$75 maybe. We use them at the kitchen table and have some in the dining room. we even have one now at the kids' drawing table because as a teacher, I learned the importance of having supported feet when drawing or writing. Giving kids stable footing allows them to be more balanced when applying hand pressure, so the footrest when learning to write is quite valuable. In my K class, we used blocks under little feet. Right-sized (or grow with you) chairs are much easier.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

we have two and really like them now. but like some others, i didn't really like it as much for when kid was an infant...i didn't buy the tray (too expensive..it's like $80 or something ridiculous). i did buy one baby seat for DD, but with that i couldn't get it to fit under our table so it was sort of useless until my DD could sit with out it.

now though i REALLy like them. kids are 2.75 and almost 4 and then get used everyday. they are easy to clean. no need for boosters or sitting on phone books. they can climb in on their own. love it. plus, i like how they sort of disappear when you put them at the table..not an eyesore or anything. and i love how they are adjustable.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-03-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast