Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

We had one for ds (kinderzeat actually because that was the predecessor). He was already eating solids when we adopted him, but we started out with a different high chair. We switched with him when he wanted in and out of the chair every five seconds. He could climb in and out of the kinderzeat on his own, which saved my sanity.

Then we got a Tripp Trapp for dd. Dd started in hers at six months and we had no trouble using it right away. I had the baby rail for her, but never had the tray. We have a small house and you can see the dining room from the living room and I love that there is no giant plastic thing sitting out, not even a tray. The chair just looks like a chair at first glance. Plus I did baby led weaning and it fit right in with the idea that the baby joins the family at the table for the meal.

Dd did reject hers once she was about 3 so I need to go ahead and sell it on CL. They have great resale value.

Catherine

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We used a single chair for both our kids.

Was absolutely worth every penny.

We are older parents and had already been investing in our forever furniture when DD decided to finally show up. For some reason regular high chairs was one baby item I just couldn't bear (the mini-van of baby gear to me). We got a cherry trip trapp and baby set, and used it for both kids until about 3 for DD (when DS was then able to use it) and DS then grew out of it about 1.5 ys (BIG BOY). Neither want to use it now, so I need to craigslist it. Would not recommend getting the padding set until you use the seat and see if you really want them. We never had them, and seem like just one more thing to clean.

Seat was so easy to keep clean (all smooth lines). Adjustable. Fit with our "big people" decor perfectly. Never needed any other booster or highchair. My MIL has had a variety of highchairs-over time has spent WAY WAY more than we did on our single Tripp Trapp. She cleans them all the time, but they just give me the germy willies!

If you want one, follow threads here on BBB as deals do pop up sometimes.

This and the BOB stroller were some of the few expensive baby gear items I would be happy to pay fulll price for in retrospect!

Quote Originally Posted by jjjo1112 View Post
    We bought one as it was recommended by our feeding therapist.
    We really didn't love ours as much as I had hoped. The main issue for us was that once DD3 turned 1, she could get out of the harness in 2 seconds flat. And since we didn't have the tray, there was not a second barrier to prevent her from standing up. I would go into the kitchen to get something, and by the time I walked back in, she would be standing up. I think if we had bought the tray, it may have worked better but we had already spent a bunch on the chair and the baby set, so I didn't want to spend another $90 on the tray.

We went to look at the keekaroo, but ultimately went with the Svan. So far, we have been happy with that. Although, it's seems to be pretty small compared to the stokke. We only switched about 2 months ago, so my use is a bit limited.
    We have 2 Svans and love them. Both are cherry colored and go well with our dining room furniture. Both DC have used them since they could sit up (with the baby tray) and still use them (sans tray) for every meal (DS is 5 and DD is 2.9) We have the padded cushions on both and throw the padding in the washer every now and then.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

lyt202 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We have been using ours since DS was a baby and still love it. I liked the fact that it did not have a tray and even when he was a baby, DS always ate at the table with us. The baby set plus harness kept him contained when he was small. We took the harness off awhile ago and now use it as a regular, adjustable chair. Sometime I use it if DS has taken over my chair so it is definitely sturdy.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We got a Tripp Trapp for DS2. We had a Fisher Price Space Saver for DS1, and DS2 *hated* it from the first time we put him in it at 4 months. Plus it didn't pull up to our table, and took up way too much space with tray in our tiny dining room. So I started looking for a TT after reading so much about them on BBB. I got one on Craigslist for $50 with only the 3 point harness (no baby seat/set). DS2 did great without the baby seat from day 1. He loved being at the table with us, and none of the screaming and squirming we had with the Space Saver. I think he felt too confined in a regular high chair.

I love the TT, 2 years later it is going strong!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

We have two tripp trap now. I did get the aftermarket tray to use with it when they were little. I never had the baby insert, but the straps held them in place once they could sit up (we didn't start on solids until they were sitting up). I wouldn't have liked the chairs without the tray for little ones, but I used the one tray with both kids so I got my money's worth. Our table is round so we used the tray up until about 1.5years when they could climb up and down on their own easily and weren't dropping things all the time. Now we're done with it so it's in the garage waiting to be sold eventually. I like the looks of the chairs and that they are so adjustable (seat and footrest can be moved up/down and in/out - DS2 needed more room on the bottom step in order to climb up). I also love how easy it is to just wipe down.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Kinderzeat that I bought 9.5 or 10 years ago for DD1. It has held up amazingly and all of my kids have used it post high chair. Recently, RightStart had a special that you could buy a seat, baby set, tray, and cushion for $299. I bought it because DD3 and DS constantly fight over my one seat, and I only have 6 chairs in both my kitchen and my dining room. I'm sure the baby set will come in handy when I find a third seat for DD4 on CL for much less or for when DS starts using regular chairs full time b

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jjjo1112 View Post
    We bought one as it was recommended by our feeding therapist.
    We really didn't love ours as much as I had hoped. The main issue for us was that once DD3 turned 1, she could get out of the harness in 2 seconds flat. And since we didn't have the tray, there was not a second barrier to prevent her from standing up. I would go into the kitchen to get something, and by the time I walked back in, she would be standing up. I think if we had bought the tray, it may have worked better but we had already spent a bunch on the chair and the baby set, so I didn't want to spend another $90 on the tray.

We went to look at the keekaroo, but ultimately went with the Svan. So far, we have been happy with that. Although, it's seems to be pretty small compared to the stokke. We only switched about 2 months ago, so my use is a bit limited.
    How was she escaping? did you have the 5 pt harness? i know the originals were 3...cannot imagine even my little houidini getting out of the 5 pt if it is firmly fastened. Was she actually able to squeeze the release? if so I ask Stokke what they would recommend you do.

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Another fan here.

We used the bumbo when the kids were young and just starting to hold things like a hunk of avocado (we also did baby led weaning, so no spoon feeding). Once they outgrew that/got more into solid food (whichever came first), they moved into the Tripp Trapp. 8-10 months or so? I don't remember. We never used a cushion, never even considered it. We ALWAYS used a harness until they were climbing in there and sitting still all on their own. We used the baby set for the squirmy one, since he liked to twist about and put his feet up on the table while eating, and the baby set kept him from being able to achieve that twist.

I VASTLY prefer no tray, since I hate having to clean a tray, along with the entire area things get thrown (baby led weaning is messy, some kids more than others). We just fed them right off the (clean) table until they were old enough for bowls without tossing. and wiped the table down at the end, like we did every meal for adults too. We also were big fans of the Bjorn bib with the catcher, since we basically pulled baby right up to the table, with just enough room between him and the table for the bib. So all the things klutzy baby hands dropped often landed in the bib, and he would happily treat the bib as a bowl to reach into for further eating.

And then it grew wonderfully into a toddler chair.

I phase to regular chairs pretty quickly after that, since I don't like having my entire house over run by kid stuff. But I can see the convenience of also letting the chair grow with the child more. It's just not my thing, as by that point, any convenience gain is outweighed by aesthetic loss for me. Even if they are pretty darn cute. It's just not my look.

So for us - chair, harness, bjorn bib - necessities, and worked perfectly together. Baby set - can try without if cost is a serious concern, but I liked it.

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

the Tripp Trapp is awesome. we have two.

I had the baby insert, but just didn't love using the TT for a small baby - we used the FP seat that attaches to a chair. Once they were sitting really well, we moved them into TTs. I can't imagine not having them.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast