Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliaparadiso View Post
    Hi,
    New to this thread and slow cookers in general, but a quick question - why does everyone say that they are scared of Instant Pot? Are they hard to use?
    I'm not scared because it's dangerous. I think stove top pressure cookers can explode, but the electric ones cook at a lower pressure and have a ton of safety features. I'm not afraid I'll get hurt or anything, I'm just afraid of it because I'm clueless about using a pressure cooker (or a slow cooker for that matter), because I never have used one! It intimidates me. I'm always so envious of the cooks who throw a bunch of stuff in a slow cooker in the morning and end up with a lovely dinner at meal time! I'm a decent cook, but I use pots and pans and the oven, and it all takes time. It took me two years before I used my convection oven, because I didn't know how to adjust the time for things. I eventually just used it with trial and error, but I don't want to replace my trusty rice cooker that just cooked everything automatically with a machine that won't do what it did and that I'll never use because I've convinced myself I can't figure out how to adapt recipes or something. I'm going to go for it, though, I think. The only thing that has me doubting now is that I went on a site called Miss Vickie that has lots of pressure cooker recipes, and she says electric pressure cookers are not good because they release pressure too slowly and using the quick release causes meat to toughen. The only meat I ever cook is poultry, and I cannot abide dry poultry! And if I have to wait 20 minutes for the cooker to depressurize, I won't be saving much time. Do you see what I do to myself? It's not healthy!

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    It's supposed to come out at the end of January. From what I can remember, it will now make yogurt (which sounds like a joke, but I swear it's not!) And it has some design improvements, which I don't remember...something about condensation. It's now the 7 in 1, since it makes yogurt. I found a coupon somewhere, let me see if I can dig it up (I'll post in Bargains too).
    I think it's out now...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2A167GUINWC52

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I'm not scared because it's dangerous. I think stove top pressure cookers can explode, but the electric ones cook at a lower pressure and have a ton of safety features. I'm not afraid I'll get hurt or anything, I'm just afraid of it because I'm clueless about using a pressure cooker (or a slow cooker for that matter), because I never have used one! It intimidates me. I'm always so envious of the cooks who throw a bunch of stuff in a slow cooker in the morning and end up with a lovely dinner at meal time! I'm a decent cook, but I use pots and pans and the oven, and it all takes time. It took me two years before I used my convection oven, because I didn't know how to adjust the time for things. I eventually just used it with trial and error, but I don't want to replace my trusty rice cooker that just cooked everything automatically with a machine that won't do what it did and that I'll never use because I've convinced myself I can't figure out how to adapt recipes or something. I'm going to go for it, though, I think. The only thing that has me doubting now is that I went on a site called Miss Vickie that has lots of pressure cooker recipes, and she says electric pressure cookers are not good because they release pressure too slowly and using the quick release causes meat to toughen. The only meat I ever cook is poultry, and I cannot abide dry poultry! And if I have to wait 20 minutes for the cooker to depressurize, I won't be saving much time. Do you see what I do to myself? It's not healthy!
    Have you checked out stove top pressure cookers lately? I ask, b/c they are pretty much idiot-proof now. These are not like the ticking ones that you remember your grandma and mom using. I know have a fagor stove top pressure cooker that I adore. Basically, if I do not lock the lid on with a small slide of a button, it will not pressurize. So, do not assume that stove tops one still explode. If you use the old style ticking ones, yes, they can still be prone to user error, but the newer ones have built in features that basically make it very difficult to screw it up.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Have you checked out stove top pressure cookers lately? I ask, b/c they are pretty much idiot-proof now. These are not like the ticking ones that you remember your grandma and mom using. I know have a fagor stove top pressure cooker that I adore. Basically, if I do not lock the lid on with a small slide of a button, it will not pressurize. So, do not assume that stove tops one still explode. If you use the old style ticking ones, yes, they can still be prone to user error, but the newer ones have built in features that basically make it very difficult to screw it up.
    That's good to know. My mother never used a pressure cooker. I've literally never seen one IRL! I'm HUGELY excited about the prospect of being able to cook a whole chicken in 30 minutes, though! I really do want the electric one to work for me, though, because it doesn't take up a burner. That was huge with the rice cooker!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2