Default Bins NOT for Expedit!

We don't have an Expedit, and, though we might someday get one, I'm looking to use some storage bins NOW! I've got a built in wooden bookshelf in my office, which has become overflow toy storage central. Each of the sections of bookshelf are 27.5" long and only 12" deep. I want bins to hold things like Legos, marble run pieces, bristle blocks, 40 million hot wheels, 40 million action figures, 40 million plastic animals-- you get the picture.

These Land of Nod boxes look pretty perfect, but I don't like that they're colored. My office is accented with navy blue and deep red, so these colors really don't go. The sizes, however, are very good, I think. I'm a little concerned that they'd be too small. I wish they went higher, and they seem pricey to me.

http://m.landofnod.com/top-box-storage-collection/f5142

I don't care how high the boxes go, but I'd love to have ones that are not more than 13.5" wide or deep. That way I could fit two per shelf, and they'd only hang over by a bit.

I've searched and searched. Can you help me? I'm a bit reluctant to use fabric/cardboard bins, (we have some Circo ones) because my kids are very hard on them, and the ones we have for books are pretty worn and have buckled. I'm also hoping for CHEAP! I don't ask much, right?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Itso ones at Target are good.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have some fabric ones from Walmart that have a metal frame. We have some in navy and red. Not sure if they always have them or just sometimes. They may have khaki ones near the decorative wreaths, though. Ours are 7.5 years old and still look new. They have handles so DC can carry them also.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Itso ones at Target are good.

Itso large. I think they only come in 3 colors, but the size works well for us.

I decided to look in Target today since I had to take a trip to the mall to do some returns. I ended up buying some black woven plastic baskets that were on clearance. It's not as good as a proper bin with a lid, but the size was perfect. I'll be able to fit two per shelf, and I think the black will just disappear on the bottom shelf. If I like them, I can get more.

I wonder if the white Trofast bins from ikea would work. You can get lids for them. They stack well. I do use them in both our trofast and expedit and have a couple sizes (ie in the expedit I can fit 3 small ones on a shelf stacked with lids or 1 small one on top of a bigger size). I just label the outside with a picture (laminated clip art attached with velcro) of what's inside each bin. They would work on other bookshelves too. I like the smaller size so that kids are able to find lego pieces, etc. but for bigger cars, musical instruments, etc the bigger ones are nice.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

would the multi purpose bins work (container store)
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07