Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pure Barre?

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Pure Barre?

anybody do this? I have a friend who goes to these classes at a local studio and raves about it. I looked it up and apparently it's a nationwide chain. I am just curious about it. One thing that shocks me is the price. I keep seeing deals in my FB feed for a local studio offering 8 week unlimited classes for... $350!! And that is a deal, supposedly. Is it just me or is that uber-pricey? Even when i was a member at the snobbiest most high-end gym here it was $90 a month and that included all classes. Membership (including Unlimited classes) at my hot yoga studio (which I love to pieces and keeps me sane) is only $50 per month ($100/mo for DH &I). I guess I am just wondering if anybody has tried it, what is so great about it, if it really gives good results, etc.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've taken Bar Method classes that I think are pretty similar and the price was also pretty outrageous. I was able to use a groupon and that lowered the price quite a bit.

Default Pure Barre?

I'm not sure where you live but the gym and yoga prices you quoted are way, way, way less than around here. I think barre classes are priced more like Pilates and reformer classes run from $50 per private class on up. It is expensive though, especially if a group or chain.

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I'm not sure where you live but the gym and yoga prices you quoted are way, way, way less than around here. I think barre classes are priced more like Pilates and reformer classes run from $50 per private class on up. It is expensive though, especially if a group or chain.
    i live in TX, which is low COL. average gym here is pretty cheap, like $30/mo (city run).

for pilates though, i think the prices are comparable to high COL area. i moved here from LA where i took tons of pilates classes. here pilates reformer classes are about the same price (like $75 per 1 hr private class on a reformer) and i've paid for those classes no problem, because they are *private* lessons and you get on-one instruction, and yes they use $$$ equipment. Plus, you set the time and make an appointment with an instructor and the whole class is tailored to your specific issues . I guess i'm having a hard time swallowing $175/mo for a month of *group* classes that is on a schedule (not set by you), where there is no fancy equipment (aside from a barre i guess) and no personal training. I hear a number of people people rave about it though, so i am dying of curiosity as to what is so great about it
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-10-2014 at 12:44 AM.

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Unlimited Pilates classes in my hcol city are usually $200-$250 a month. I've never done barre though so I can't speak to that.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I looked at the Barre classes and there was no way I could pay that for a class. I pay $100 for my gym with unlimited classes. The Barre classes are a minimum $25/ class. So, I'd get a whopping 4 classes for the same as an entire month at the gym. Not in my budget at all. I originally quit my gym and planned to piece meal workouts based on all the individual workout places around. 1. I hated being new so I rarely did it. 2. It cost no less money. I spent most of my time running instead of all the cool classes I could have tried.

I figure eventually a variation of Barre method stuff will come to my gym and I won't have to pay extra.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Can you find one that's not from that chain? I noticed that they just started a class in my area, but there's no way they could charge prices like the ones posted. It's through our local ART academy.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Pure Barre is so expensive because they want it to be. The franchise fees, updated coreography, and training courses are the highest out there. There are plenty of other options.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I looked at the Barre classes and there was no way I could pay that for a class. I pay $100 for my gym with unlimited classes. The Barre classes are a minimum $25/ class. So, I'd get a whopping 4 classes for the same as an entire month at the gym. Not in my budget at all. I originally quit my gym and planned to piece meal workouts based on all the individual workout places around. 1. I hated being new so I rarely did it. 2. It cost no less money. I spent most of my time running instead of all the cool classes I could have tried.

I figure eventually a variation of Barre method stuff will come to my gym and I won't have to pay extra.
    ok, glad i'm not the only one who is balking at the price. and yes, that's probably true about some version of it coming to your gym. i'm no longer a member of a gym but i do belong to a yoga studio that has yoga classes as well as pilates and some "bootcamp" classes. for $50 a mo, that's $12.50 a week, so if i go just 3x a week that's less than $5 a class and i get a pretty decent work out (these aren't typical yoga classes i've seen anywhere else, they leave me sweating and out of breath). i cannot imagine paying $20 or more for a non-private class.

hellokitty i thought the same thing (no way they can charge xxx amount) bc i'm in a low COL area but apparently they do and they have several locations just in our area. Dallas seems to have a good amount of "snobby" fitness types though (sorry can't think of a better word, lol).

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    ok, glad i'm not the only one who is balking at the price. and yes, that's probably true about some version of it coming to your gym. i'm no longer a member of a gym but i do belong to a yoga studio that has yoga classes as well as pilates and some "bootcamp" classes. for $50 a mo, that's $12.50 a week, so if i go just 3x a week that's less than $5 a class and i get a pretty decent work out (these aren't typical yoga classes i've seen anywhere else, they leave me sweating and out of breath). i cannot imagine paying $20 or more for a non-private class.

hellokitty i thought the same thing (no way they can charge xxx amount) bc i'm in a low COL area but apparently they do and they have several locations just in our area. Dallas seems to have a good amount of "snobby" fitness types though (sorry can't think of a better word, lol).
    I just looked it up. Your jaw will drop. It's $6 per class at our art academy. We live in a REALLY cheap area, as in cheap ppl. They would even complain about $6 per class, lol, they want everything for a buck or less. I know that there is a barre method DVD. Can you try to check out (from the library) or buy it to see if it's something you might like? I wanted to try it out, but not sure that my knee can handle all of the exercises yet.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast