Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Baby gate that toddler can open

Can anyone recommend a baby gate that my 2.5 year old WOULD be able to open? It wouldn't be going at the top of stairs, so I would prefer pressure mount. When we're playing in the basement, my 1 year old makes a dash to go up the stairs and I need a gate to block the stairs going up, while still allowing my 2.5 year old to go up unassisted. Does something like this exist?
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

I like the mechanism on this gate I have at the top of the stairs. DD is older so I really don't have a frame of reference of whether a 2.5 year old would be able to open it but it isn't complicated like some of the gates that even I can't consistently open. You basically just pull up (have to be tall and strong enough which rules out a 1 year old opening it I think) and twist in the direction you want to open the gate.

Are you wanting something that will keep the one year old safe unsupervised or just something to slow them down? There are gates that are even easier to open but I probably wouldn't trust that a one year old couldn't get them open if unsupervised.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    I like the mechanism on this gate I have at the top of the stairs. DD is older so I really don't have a frame of reference of whether a 2.5 year old would be able to open it but it isn't complicated like some of the gates that even I can't consistently open. You basically just pull up (have to be tall and strong enough which rules out a 1 year old opening it I think) and twist in the direction you want to open the gate.

Are you wanting something that will keep the one year old safe unsupervised or just something to slow them down? There are gates that are even easier to open but I probably wouldn't trust that a one year old couldn't get them open if unsupervised.
    Thanks for the response. I'm not looking to leave DD unsupervised (way too many choking hazards in the basement), but just something that would prevent her from climbing up the stairs which is her favorite thing to do when we're all playing in the basement. I'm consistently chasing her and and it takes my time away from the other kids.
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012