Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Yeah, I keep hoping it is just paleo flu. I didn't go through this last time. I felt lethargic through a period of time, but that was it. This time, the swollen hands is ridiculous, I have achey joints in general this time, but the swollen hands are kind of freaking me out, esp since I'm definitely not over-doing the sodium.
    First of all, clean out your Mailbox!

I have never heard of that. It could be a detox thing, but that sounds awfully strange. Did you check the w30 forums or call your dr? The forums are fantastic!! Also, while in NY, my hands would swell in the winter. Maybe it's a funky winter allergic reaction to a winter allergen??
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SASM View Post
    First of all, clean out your Mailbox!

I have never heard of that. It could be a detox thing, but that sounds awfully strange. Did you check the w30 forums or call your dr? The forums are fantastic!! Also, while in NY, my hands would swell in the winter. Maybe it's a funky winter allergic reaction to a winter allergen??
    I've only ever noticed my hands get swollen sometimes if I ate out and took in a lot of salt. So, this is why this is so incredibly odd to me. If I hadn't done whole30 with success previously, I would have quite, due to this issue, kwim? My doctor is an idiot, I need to change doctors. I was hoping that this was just some temporary thing. I've had to resort to waving my hands around in the air (I noticed that going to the aqua aerobics class helped, since we used hands a lot) to try to decrease swelling a bit, but my hands are definitely tight and ache, ugh. I don't think it's a winter thing, basically lived in the climate all my life and never had a reaction like this before. Oh and I emptied out my mailbox. Sorry, it got filled up quickly!
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Ok, I am just joining you all now! I intended to start last week, but our schedule was insane (2 kids play hockey and DH and I both work...need I say more? lol) So, I started yesterday.

The day went well. Eggs with sauted spinach (in coconut oil, since I didn't get a chance to make ghee) for breakfast. Lunch was a spinach salad, with leftover rotisserie chicken, tomatoes, cilantro, cucumber and avocado. I forgot to bring oil/vinegar to work, but the avocado/cilantro combination was like a dressing and I loved it. Doing the same today for lunch.

Dinner was roasted veggies (brussels sprouts, asparagus and broccoli), sweet potato and baked salmon. I usually cook salmon with pesto, but that's out for the dairy part. So, I bought fresh basil and made a quick pesto without cheese. I topped the salmon with it and baked - delicious!

The hardest part was no wine with dinner I drank green tea instead.
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball Mommie View Post

The hardest part was no wine with dinner I drank green tea instead.
    I hear you!! Decaf tea in the eves doesn't quite cut it!!
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I hear you!! Decaf tea in the eves doesn't quite cut it!!
    I used to think so, but I LOVE my decaf black currant tea at night now! Even when we have guests, I often choose it over wine. Or start the wine and decide I'd rather have my nightly tea. I get it from Upton teas. (Disclaimer: I'm not following Whole30 so I'm not sure if it's Whole30 compliant! Just wanted to point out that somehow I got over my nightly glass of wine and don't miss it.)

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    I used to think so, but I LOVE my decaf black currant tea at night now! Even when we have guests, I often choose it over wine. Or start the wine and decide I'd rather have my nightly tea. I get it from Upton teas. (Disclaimer: I'm not following Whole30 so I'm not sure if it's Whole30 compliant! Just wanted to point out that somehow I got over my nightly glass of wine and don't miss it.)
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who finds it hard to give up my wine glass in favor of a tea cup I checked and according to their website, your black currant tea is ok on a whole30 (http://whole9life.com/2012/10/quench...-whole9-style/).

I am going to order some to try. I do love tea - especially jasmine green - but it's a hard habit to break!

eta: just in case anyone else is interested... I've tried this and it's delicious and so easy to make - cold brewed green tea
    http://www.amazon.com/Twinings-Green...=AS3HOSV4DF0UG
    Last edited by Meatball Mommie; 01-14-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In regards to trying out your espresso machine, you can still use it. Make Americano's. In regards to creamy coffee, I have become quite fond of "Bulletproof Coffee". Pour coffee (or your Americano) into a blender. Add ~1t coconut oil and ~1t ghee and blitz on high until it is tan and frothy. I also add a little cinnamon. Perfectly W30 compliant! Strange combo, I know, but yummy (flavored creamers are hydrogenated oil with artificial flavors, anyway)! I cannot have creamer, even when I am not w30, and this agrees with me.
    I will try out the Bulletproof Coffee for you (I've heard of it before), but I have to admit that it does sound disgusting LOL!!!! I remember trying coffee with coconut milk last W30 and that was gross and I ended up not drinking coffee again for the entire time. I'm actually not a big coffee drinker, but do love a good breve latte once a week or so with cinnamon. I'll update once I get up the nerve to try the Bulletproof Coffee! Oh, and I've never used flavored creamers in the past. Just plain half & half or heavy cream with no sweeteners. It's the only dairy I allowed in my life!

For tonight's dinner I finally got around to making one of the recipes in my Paleo cookbook. I'm doing a crockpot roast recipe from my Make Ahead Paleo cookbook.
    Last edited by essnce629; 01-14-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    Ohhhh...I am soooo going to try that one!! I have quite a collection of decaf teas and enjoy them in the eves but, some nights, a couple ounces of red wine does wonders. I soooo wish I could get into green tea, as it is so healthy, but the last one I tried tasted like steeped grass. Any reccs?

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I will try out the Bulletproof Coffee for you (I've heard of it before), but I have to admit that it does sound disgusting LOL!!!! I remember trying coffee with coconut milk last W30 and that was gross and I ended up not drinking coffee again for the entire time. I'm actually not a big coffee drinker, but do love a good breve latte once a week or so with cinnamon. I'll update once I get up the nerve to try the Bulletproof Coffee! Oh, and I've never used flavored creamers in the past. Just plain half & half or heavy cream with no sweeteners. It's the only dairy I allowed in my life!

For tonight's dinner I finally got around to making one of the recipes in my Paleo cookbook. I'm doing a crockpot roast recipe from my Make Ahead Paleo cookbook.
    I'll have to try that recipe...I grabbed that book from Costco a few weeks ago but haven't tried anything yet. Usually her recipes have natural sweeteners. I am pretty good at omitting a tweaking but just didn't want the temptation.

You know, I ALWAYS used a splash of half and half or heavy cream in my coffee pre-paleo. Then, I went paleo, and then ventured into "primal" to exercise my right to consume half and half in my coffee, etc. That *small* amount of H&H or WC would give me crazy reflux! I NEVER had that issue before. Ohhhh...the power of paleo!! IF I want a creamy coffee, bulletproof coffee will hit the spot BUT I have to drink it quickly bc the more it hangs out, and separates, I have issues with it. If I drink coffee (DH & I actually lean more towards decaf tea now throughout the day), a dash of cinnamon usually satisfies.
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

I just finished day 7 too and so far, so good except the little slip up eating a peppermint last week. Today I had chicken salad over spinach for lunch. The chicken salad was REALLY good- TJs canned chicken breast, crushed pineapple, mayo, almond slivers and some garlic powder. It really hit the spot both a little sweet and savory at the same time. Think I may have the same lunch tomorrow.

I totally overdid the nuts today though. I was STARVING after work, had a bad day and did a little emotional eating. At least it's better than the chocolate I would have dug into last week . We also had taco salad this week and brisket. I have also missed wine but have increased my tea consumption. Next I'll give the Bulletproof Coffee a try. Keep the great ideas coming, ladies! It's great to get on here to see how everyone is doing.

Stacy

bcafe is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I made a chuck roast in the pressure cooker tonight. First time ever using it and I was nervous. When that finished, I pressured some carrots and then steamed some green beans. I used my immersion blender to make "gravy" with a few of the carrots and the stock. Turned out quite tasty. Nice to spend only 35 minutes on a roast!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast