Thread: Short naps

Default Short naps

DS is 3 month old took about 4 naps. 2 30-minute naps in the morning and 1 longer naps about 3 hours and 1 30-minute nap before bed time. He can stay awake for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours max before he needs to sleep again. Here's roughly a schedule:

7-7:30 am wake time and BF
    8:30 am start soothing him and usually I let him nurse and he'll be asleep few minutes later
    9:00 am wake up from nap and play
    10:15 am same routine, soothing, nurse, nap
    11:00 am wake up from nap and play
    12:30 pm soothing,nurse, nap
    Around 1 he'll wake up to nurse again and continue to sleep until 2 pm then wake up to nurse again at 3 pm and continue to sleep until sometimes 4 or 4:30 pm
    5:00 pm or a bit later soothing,nurse,nap for 30 mins
    7 to 7:30 pm nurse and then go to bed
    12:30 or 1 am nurse
    6:30 am nurse

I don't know if his short 30-minute naps are actually considered a nap. He seems happy but He will yawn not too long after waking up. He will happily nap on a queen size bed we have in his room(not his crib) for naps and he has no problem sleeping in I his own crib at night from day 1.
    Also with him waking up to feed in between the long nap, is that normal ? We are nursing about 8-9 times a day. He'll nurse from one side and burp him and will try to let him nurse the other side but most of the time he seems content and full already.

Just trying to figure out if this is normal or if there's anything I can do to lengthen his nap time. Thank you so much

Sounds about right. Probably in the next month or so, you will notice that he is a lot less sleepy, and it might become a lot harder to get him down for a nap at all. After that, he will hopefully settle into 2 longer naps - but you should not expect that until closer to 6/7 months. It sounds like you are doing a great job, so just keep doing whatever you are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by amom526 View Post
    Sounds about right. Probably in the next month or so, you will notice that he is a lot less sleepy, and it might become a lot harder to get him down for a nap at all. After that, he will hopefully settle into 2 longer naps - but you should not expect that until closer to 6/7 months. It sounds like you are doing a great job, so just keep doing whatever you are doing!
    Thank you. Last feeding was at 1 pm and he was fussing at around 2 pm and I usually will nurse him right away. But I decided to wait and let him fuss this time and he did go back to sleep after 10 minutes and has been sleeping for almost 2 hours straight now!! I thought he might want to nurse more often during day time. I guess they keep on changing and I just have to read his cues carefully. Wish they come with manuals! ha!

DS is now 4.5 months and went from great napper to crappy napper. I don’t know if he’s in the transition but this happened as soon as he turned 4 months. I’m trying to read his cues (rubbing eyes, yawning) but still fails miserably. He seemed to resist naps more and the longest nap he will take is 45 minutes (if I’m lucky), most of the time it’s 30 minutes and about 3-4 naps a day. For example he is up at 7 am this morning and usually would have been tired by around 8:30 am and so I nursed him and put him to his crib at 8:15 am and now almost 10:00 am and he is still fussing (no crying, just whining) and resisting this morning nap
    I’ve moved his bed time earlier to between 6-7 pm and he usually wakes up at around 6-7 am and woke up to nurse once or sometimes twice. He is sleeping in his crib for both naps and night time.
    Do you think it is time to put him on a nap schedule 9,12,3 ? or I should still follow his cues (which I seem to fail miserably) or is he still too young and I just to bear with this until he is 6 months (that's what people told me that the nap will get better) ? Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by babyfiorina1 View Post
    DS is now 4.5 months and went from great napper to crappy napper. I don’t know if he’s in the transition but this happened as soon as he turned 4 months. I’m trying to read his cues (rubbing eyes, yawning) but still fails miserably. He seemed to resist naps more and the longest nap he will take is 45 minutes (if I’m lucky), most of the time it’s 30 minutes and about 3-4 naps a day. For example he is up at 7 am this morning and usually would have been tired by around 8:30 am and so I nursed him and put him to his crib at 8:15 am and now almost 10:00 am and he is still fussing (no crying, just whining) and resisting this morning nap
    I’ve moved his bed time earlier to between 6-7 pm and he usually wakes up at around 6-7 am and woke up to nurse once or sometimes twice. He is sleeping in his crib for both naps and night time.
    Do you think it is time to put him on a nap schedule 9,12,3 ? or I should still follow his cues (which I seem to fail miserably) or is he still too young and I just to bear with this until he is 6 months (that's what people told me that the nap will get better) ? Thank you so much!

4 months is a horrible time for napping. I would just stick with following cues, but keep your expectations low. Hopefully as you've heard, things will start getting better towards 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by amom526 View Post
    4 months is a horrible time for napping. I would just stick with following cues, but keep your expectations low. Hopefully as you've heard, things will start getting better towards 6 months.
    I know. No more long naps (I'd be happy if he can just nap for 1 hour, but that's out of the window). sigh! and now that he rolls over to tummy and got stuck and didn't know how to flip back, that makes things even worse!!