Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
    Is 39 and 3 far enough long that I don't have to worry about any last minute brain development or important things happening? Is it really just a case of adding fat at that stage? I am very sure of my due date.

Would the fact that my cervix is dilated to 2 cm (was 0 cm at 36 so I know I don't walk around with it like that) and quite effaced mean that even with the posterior position, the baby is putting pressure on my cervix? Or does the cervix dilate due to braxton hicks and hormones more than pressure?

Is inducing this late even worth it? Even if I go a week over that's just 1/2 lb at this stage, right? The bone structure and head size is pretty much set and some extra thigh rolls won't matter - or is that not correct and the whole baby will get bigger?
    IMO 39 and 3 is absolutely full term! My DD1 was born at 39 weeks, 5 days, and my DD2 at 39 even, and they were both considered full term.

I know I am a broken record with this, but having sex (to completion for the man) is the only form of home induction (aside from castor oil) that actually has much evidence behind it. Without getting into personal details, I would have very high confidence in using it as a method of home induction, and it doesn't have any of the potential unfortunate side effects of castor oil.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So I had an appointment today and no real mention was made of inducing. I was all set with a million questions, but Dr seemed fine with me going on and made next appointment for 40w and 2 days. However, he did do a strip of my membranes. I guess that's better than being hooked to Pitocin though. Anyone have any experience with this? Does it cause a lot of cramping and bleeding? How will I know difference from real labor or just side effect of strip?
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

I had my membranes stripped with dd2. It didn't do anything for me. Maybe a tiny bit of spotting but nothing else. IME you will know when you are in lap nothing else compared
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I had my membranes stripped with dd2. It didn't do anything for me. Maybe a tiny bit of spotting but nothing else. IME you will know when you are in lap nothing else compared
    Thank you! How far along were you? I was so excited he seemed to have gotten off the induction bandwagon and then suddenly this was happening while I was totally off guard. I feel a little crampy and heavy, but no spotting or contractions. Kind of wish I had just been left alone, everything about this pregnancy has been perfect and it's only the 7.12 weight last week that concerns anyone. Is there any safety issues to the bag not being attached anymore? Usually I research like a crazy woman, but this was sprung on me and I don't know very much about it!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I had them stripped with both. The first time just felt like a normal exam. Labor started 2 days later. Don't know if it's a coincidence. With ds2, she was darned thorough. Didn't hurt but she took a while. Labor started 4 hours later. Neither was painful, bloody, crampy. Unless you're GBS+, it's a good option.

I had it when I was 40+ weeks with dd2. She was late and a VBAC so they couldn't induce and my midwife did it so I could go into labor fast and didn't get stuck with another c section. I don't believe there are any risks to stripping membranes once the baby is full term
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i'm glad your dr didnt push you into induction. my first was "such a huge baby we need to induce today, especially since you were 5'2" and 100lbs before getting pregnant." eye roll and laugh. she was 5lbs 11 oz. i pushed her out in 2 pushes. same number of pushes for baby number4, only she was 8lbs 4oz. your body did it once, it will do it again.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Is stripping the membranes pretty safe regarding not causing the baby to come before it's ready? I just hate the thought of her still needing to develop and forcing her out, especially this early. Can this make my waters more likely to break? I am terrified of things like cord prolapse (I google a little too much) if my water does break (does an anterior placenta make this more likely…cord in front of baby at front of stomach?).

Is there a need or reason for the membranes to be attached to the cervix? Will having the bag detached make any difference in my labor?

Thanks for any attempt at my million questions!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

If babies not ready, baby won't come! I had anterior placenta with DD1 and my membranes stripped at 40w 2 days and it didn't cause labor to start or any other complication. DD2 I didn't have anterior placenta but did have membranes stripped at 40w 2 days and it didn't start anything. Good luck, I hope labor starts soon and everything goes smoothly!
    DD1- 5/2008
    DD2- 3/2012
    Expecting a Boy July 2014!

What is the time frame of it working? If I am not in labor in 48 hrs do I assume that it did not work and any future labor is not related? I really do want to feel like the baby came on her own. 39 and 1 seems so early to try to induce now that I am less fearful of her size and more doubtful of ultrasounds.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast