Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I don't believe there are any risks to stripping membranes once the baby is full term
    No interventions are ever 100% risk free. The risks associated with membrane stripping are accidental rupture of membranes and possible infection (because every time you introduce something into the vagina you are increasing the infection risk, which is why I'm not a fan of cervical checks before labor). It can also cause uncomfortable non-labor contractions which make it difficult for you to sleep and you need all the sleep you can get right now to be prepared for real labor. It can be painful to some women during the actual procedure and can cause bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
    What is the time frame of it working? If I am not in labor in 48 hrs do I assume that it did not work and any future labor is not related? I really do want to feel like the baby came on her own. 39 and 1 seems so early to try to induce now that I am less fearful of her size and more doubtful of ultrasounds.
    Membrane stripping appears most effective when you are already 41 weeks pregnant. But at the same time, most women go into labor naturally around 41 weeks anyways even if nothing is done. I'd say that if you go into labor after 48 hours then it is not related to the membrane stripping.

My best friend wanted a natural birth and therefore didn't want to be induced. She had her membranes stripped once at 41 weeks (didn't work) and again 2 or 3 days later. She was cramping soon after the second membrane stripping and was in labor for real later that night, but then again she was almost 42 weeks at that point and perhaps she would have been in labor anyways without the membrane stripping.

Here's a study that compared the results of 22 different trials on membrane sweeping/stripping. It did show that routine membrane stripping did tend to prevent pregnancies from lasting longer than 41 or 42 weeks. But at the same time, 8 women would have to have their membranes stripped to prevent one medical induction.

Membrane sweeping for induction of labour.
    AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS:
    Routine use of sweeping of membranes from 38 weeks of pregnancy onwards does not seem to produce clinically important benefits. When used as a means for induction of labour, the reduction in the use of more formal methods of induction needs to be balanced against women's discomfort and other adverse effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15674873

Personally, I would probably skip the membrane stripping unless I was close to 42 weeks and even then I'd do my castor oil regimen first since it is non-invasive.
    Last edited by essnce629; 01-21-2014 at 01:48 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

If you needed a scheduled c-section, they typically will do it 7-10 days before anticipated due date, so I really wouldn't worry about anything a week within due date. Generally anything after 37 weeks is considered full term.

I hope you are doing well! Just wanted to chime in that if the baby's weight is your main concern, then I wouldn't be too concerned They were more than a pound off with 3 of my 4 DDs!! Especially DD2, at 38 weeks they told me she was over 11 pounds- I had GD so I think they were also inclined to think she was going to be big, but at 39 w 2d she was 8lbs6ounces! Even DD4 who is only 3 weeks old, the day before she was born the ultrasound tech told me she would be at least 8lbs12ounces, but she was 7lbs14ounces!
    So please don't drive your self crazy, like I did with DD2!!! Hope you are feeling well!!!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    If you needed a scheduled c-section, they typically will do it 7-10 days before anticipated due date, so I really wouldn't worry about anything a week within due date. Generally anything after 37 weeks is considered full term.
    But, due dates can be off by 2 weeks, which is why term is 38-42 weeks. Intervene at 37 weeks and baby could be 35 weeks along, which is too early. Near term is the phrase for that and they are more likely to have health problems. I don't think many Dr.s will induce or do a c-section in an uncomplicated pregnancy before 39 weeks- or at least, they shouldn't.

Anyway, I agree with others, try not to stress about a guesstimated weight. Imagine if you had had a different care provider- one that didn't do a scan or make a guess. You feel bigger but could just be how you are carrying.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had my membranes stripped with Dolly and it was painful, there was spotting, and it did absolutely NOTHING to move labor along LOL! Try to not worry, I'm sure your little one will be here soon!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I hope you're doing well. I wouldn't worry about baby coming anytime after 39 weeks. I delivered DS1 with no intervention at 39w2d and DS2 came at 38wk4d. Both of mine were posterior also, but the second one turned as he was crowning causing a lovely tear. I hope your labor is easier this time!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists does not recommend delivery before 39 weeks and many mds will not schedule a c-section before 39 weeks unless the mother's health is at risk.
    K

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't think the stripping did much. My uterus felt irritable, but nothing strong enough for labor. I am kind of relieved because I feel like if she came now, it is on her own accord. Going to use these last few days to relax and enjoy the pregnancy instead of so much focus on getting her out!

It's crazy how I am 3 cm dilated and not in noticeable labor and I was 3 cm after 12 hrs of contractions with DD. Hopefully that means I have shaved off a good chunk of early labor time and this time things will move faster once it starts!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

any update?
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    any update?
    Not really! My Braxton Hicks are strong and frequent, but no other real signs. Glad I didn't induce since she obviously needed more time - just hope she is using it to become a genius and not just broadening her shoulders, lol.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast