Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stroller Help in a City with Narrow Rough Terrain

Hi all,
    I live in Turkey. The sidewalks near our place are mostly horrible - very narrow, made of brick, broken and we live near some pretty steep hills, and some steps. I don't drive, I will use a carrier often, but we need a stroller too. I feel like I've researched strollers to death (my husband refuses to discuss it any longer!). I went to stores and tried every stroller on the smooth stor surfaces, but it just doesn't help me know what will work outside. I need help!

These are my frontrunners:
    Bugaboo Bee - 21" wide, 18 lbs, Suspension, foam-filled tires - I like this stroller and found a deal on CL. but I am worried it won't be able to handle cobblestone. Anyone with experience?
    MacLaren Techno XLR - 20" wide, 16.5 lbs, Suspension, ball bearing tires - lightweight, practical, but no carseat attachment. Seems odd for an infant, but maybe I'm wrong. And will the wheels really handle well on cobblestone?
    Valco Snap4 - 20" wide, 14.6 lbs, no suspension, foam-filled tires - I haven't tried this one but the specs are nice, except no suspension.
    Uppababy Cruz - 22" wide, 22 lbs, suspension. I liked it at first, but I think it's too cumbersome and heavy.
    City Mini - 24" wide, 16.5 lbs, suspension. too wide! but a dream to fold. not huge on the 3 tire thing but a friend will give this to me free bc she hates it.
    Uppababy Vista - 25" wide, 26 lbs, suspension. too heavy! too wide! Will glide over any bump but I find it hard to maneuver for my tiny frame.
    Micralite Toro - 24" wide, 18 lbs, suspension, air filled tired- I haven't tried this, but I think it's just too wide.
    Ingelisina Avio - 19" wide, 21", suspension, ball bearing wheels - popular here, narrow, but will the wheels hold up?

I've observed many strollers here. The Quinny is popular, but I'm not a huge fan. Maclaren's are everywhere, but I mostly see toddlers in them and not infants. Inglesina Avio is also very popular here. After that, I see a little bit of everything from the cheap-o umbrella to the graco travel system. The stroller's I see are never large, always on the narrow side.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

for that kind of terrain i would go with a BOB stroller. its bigger but the push is awesome. i can't imagine using those with little rubber or foam tires on cobblestones on a regular basis. i would go with a baby carrier (or a few!) and a BOB.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A Bob is way too big for Turkey. You wouldn't be able to get it anywhere!!

I would consider a Baby jogger Versa and maybe even with the GT tires. It is a bit on the heavy side, but it fold compactly so the weight isn't much of an issue. It should handle the streets just fine. Or a Baby jogger City Mini GT. Otherwise on your list I would only consider the Cruz, Vista, or City mini (there is also a four wheel version of the mini). The others have way too small tires and would never work on the cobblestone.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Are you also looking at strollers available only in Europe?

Kaylee31 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Valco snap4 has an air tire option. I'd go with that if they are available to you. I've had a few others on your list (bee, avio, Vista, Toro, bjcm) and wouldn't want them for the terrain you're describing. I'd also consider the versa gt or a mountain buggy swift.
    http://www.bestbuggy.co.uk/compare-p...buggy-swift-2/

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    DS - 07/09 - Mr. Tempermental
    DD - 02/12 - Dollface
    New arrival expected 06/14

How about a Bumbleride Indie?
    My sweet and curly haired DD 4
    ...and expecting someone new mid April 2014

Thanks all! Great suggestions. For a first time mom, this is so helpful.

@legaleagle - I am considering European brands too! But, as they are available here. I've seen Stokke and Quinny, but they are $$$ here. I was thinking the most affordable route would be to purchase in the US and have my parents bring it when baby arrives.

@PZMommy - I like the Versa. It's fairly narrow. But, it is 24 lbs. Like you say, it's nice fold makes up for the weight but I am more worried about pushing it uphill.

@joonbug. I took a look at Bumbleride Indie. It will certainly handle the terrain, but like the Bob, it's likely too wide at 24.5".

I am now strongly leaning towards the Valco Snap 4. It is lightweight, has the air tire option, and is narrow. But, I can't figure out how it will work with an infant, unless we get a car seat right away (we are rarely in cars and can borrow one when we are). In Australia, Valco sells these soft bassinets that insert into the stroller to make it mom facing, but not available anywhere else but Australia. I wish the seat was reversible (does that really matter?). Does anyone else out there make products like a soft bassinet that are compatible with different types of strollers to make an infant more comfortable? Maybe I am making too much out of this and deal with the forward facing recline for 6 months.

meljc is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

If you like the Snap4, just get a snuzzler to go in it. Problem solved for $20 :-)

We had a BJCM from birth and, while parent facing might have been nice, we survived just fine and so did DS. He was very comfortable in the reclined seat with a snuzzler. A bassinet would have been problematic due to his reflux -- within a month we were no longer using the max recline, but left the seat ever so slightly elevated for his comfort (and the snuzzler kept his head nice and stable).

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anapinto View Post
    Thanks all! Great suggestions. For a first time mom, this is so helpful.

@legaleagle - I am considering European brands too! But, as they are available here. I've seen Stokke and Quinny, but they are $$$ here. I was thinking the most affordable route would be to purchase in the US and have my parents bring it when baby arrives.

@PZMommy - I like the Versa. It's fairly narrow. But, it is 24 lbs. Like you say, it's nice fold makes up for the weight but I am more worried about pushing it uphill.

@joonbug. I took a look at Bumbleride Indie. It will certainly handle the terrain, but like the Bob, it's likely too wide at 24.5".

I am now strongly leaning towards the Valco Snap 4. It is lightweight, has the air tire option, and is narrow. But, I can't figure out how it will work with an infant, unless we get a car seat right away (we are rarely in cars and can borrow one when we are). In Australia, Valco sells these soft bassinets that insert into the stroller to make it mom facing, but not available anywhere else but Australia. I wish the seat was reversible (does that really matter?). Does anyone else out there make products like a soft bassinet that are compatible with different types of strollers to make an infant more comfortable? Maybe I am making too much out of this and deal with the forward facing recline for 6 months.
    I am not sure if the snap is compatible with britax but if it is you can buy the car seat adapters for britax and buy a britax bassinet. I did that for my bee. I will be honest, though, my DD hated the bassinet. It was a waste. I ended up just putting her in the bee seat. Also, if you add the car seat, it changes the push.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuzzler - brilliant! Thank you.

I think based on the advice, I'll be okay with the forward facing seat. While the idea of a bassinet is nice, I should probably avoid purchasing items that will only be in use for half a year. We don't have that much storage space.
    Also, it turns out my sister is ready to offload her Britax carseat and I found an adapter for the snap, we can try this if we know we are taking a taxi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast