Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default ibuprofen or acetaminophen for bloating?

My gyn. recommended taking a large dose of ibuprofen or acetaminophen (600 mg) a few times a day for premenstrual bloating, starting around the time it will occur. Has anyone else done this? I've never heard of it before!

I'm a little wary after hearing about the ill effects of large doses of acetaminophen.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

I don't understand why your gyn would recommend ibuprofen or acetaminophen for bloating - they don't work for that at all. In fact, a possible side effect of ibuprofen is water retention thus possibly worsening bloating (not all side effects happen to everyone). They can work if you have premenstrual cramping or pain. Something with a diuretic will reduce the water retention and only thing OTC is midol (check the box....not all midol had a diuretic in it)

That's what I thought! I can't find anything online, either, so I have no idea what she's taking about.. I'm already taking a diuretic for hair loss (spironolactone) so I'm not supposed to add any more. It used to work wonders for me, but now I think my body is accustomed to it so it has no effect.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That's a little a odd. This will sound extreme, but the only thing I've noticed to help with PMS and AF related bloating is changing my diet. Each time I've done whole30, I have had no PMS bloating and AF has been amazingly light (usually it's extremely heavy). So, if you are interested in a more long term solution, maybe tweak your diet.
    Last edited by hellokitty; 01-26-2014 at 08:33 PM.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would try something like Pamprin or Midol instead of Tylenol or Advil. Calcium, Magnesium are supposed to be helpful too ... Dandelion root as well. http://www.ehow.com/facts_5744460_pm...bloating_.html

only thing I've noticed to help with PMS and AF related bloating is changing my diet.
    I know! I tried reducing gassy foods, but we are vegetarians and it was hard to stick to it. That is part of the problem, I think, as I eat a ton of gassy veggies and all sorts of beans Fortunately, it only seems to affect me during the PMS time. I think could manage it only for a special occasion

I would try something like Pamprin or Midol instead of Tylenol or Advil. Calcium, Magnesium are supposed to be helpful too ... Dandelion root as well. http://www.ehow.com/facts_5744460_pm...bloating_.html
    I'll look into those! My friend just gave me some home remedies for gas. I don't know if they would work during PMS, but they worked wonders on my dd! ONe of them was to eat a teaspoon of cumin seeds (I gave powder because dd was not happy with this!), some tumeric and asafoetida and I mixed it with plain yogurt, but we're used to eating plain yogurt. Another one was a pinch of black pepper mixed with 1/4 teaspoon of dried mint powder, which I happened to have on hand! Follow both with water, ideally warm, and dd insisted on a chocolate to ease the pain. I'm going to try them on myself today, minus the chocolate

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm late to this, but if you think it might be the cruciferous veggies in your diet causing the bloat & gassiness, have you looked into Bean-O?

It's a digestive enzyme tablet you take BEFORE you eat foods that cause you distress:

http://www.beanogas.com/

When DH and I were dating, I kept it in my purse so we could share appetizers like the Bloomin' Onion/Onion Blossom deep-fried onion thing at steakhouses without regretting it later. We keep it in the house or the car from time to time if we think we'll be eating things that give us issues.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle