Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Are there other conditions that seem to be frequently found in kids with SPD?

Greenbean is 6yo and has spd. He goes to an OT now and I get the impression she feels she can't do much else for him. She did diagnose him with SPD and the tests she uses definitely show he has it. I've read the books, worked with the teachers and bought everything under the sun that I think could help him cope with sensory overload at home and at school.

But there are definitely other issues there. I feel very often that I'm so close to him that I can't see what those issues could be. I'm not sure that makes sense. I've become so used to his quirky behavior that I respond to it without really considering my actions. For the past 4 years I've spent night and day trying to recognize, prevent and calm meltdowns and I don't even realize I'm doing it. But his behavior is still disruptive in the classroom. And Greenbean still tells me that he can't calm down, he can't sleep at night because his brain is going crazy, he can't stop being wild, he can't stop being angry.

I've seen a child psychologist and never felt that she dug deep enough. I plan to see another one, a highly recommended one. But I also want to do a little research on my own and thought I'd start here.

I know that quite frequently autistic kids also have spd but the opposite is not always true. The several doctors and therapists who have seen Greenbean agree he is not on the spectrum. I'm guessing that people who have spd deal with increased levels of fear and anxiety due to the more intense pain they feel. This is just a guess. So maybe anxiety is something to consider working to treat? Greenbean also seems to get angry very quickly and has a hard time letting it go. Not sure if this is tied somehow to the spd but maybe?

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about this? tia!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What types of testing are you planning to have done?

The problem with the SPD diagnosis is that it basically just describes a set of behaviors and symptoms. OT can help with these symptoms, but very often children diagnosed with SPD in early childhood have that as a placeholder until they are older and other diagnoses can be formally made. There are many conditions that have the SPD constellation of symptoms. Things like anxiety, ADHD, ODD, depression, autism, etc. These diagnoses may exist in combination as well. And sometimes just a kid who is not neurotypical, but is not necessarily diagnosable.

Sometimes it's a long process and there may not necessarily be a definitive answer. And diagnoses can be fluid and change. Older DD has many of the symptoms you describe. For many years she carried an anxiety diagnosis. As she has gotten older, I am seeing more ADHD symptoms. She's also begun to have a lot more depressive symptoms.

I think you're doing the right thing in getting more evaluations done and getting more information now that he is older.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Hey Lisa! I've missed you on here so mainly posting to say hi.
    From my super limited exposure to kids with SPD those behaviors sound like part of the sensory issues. I would question why the OT can't do more with him. I assume you have his sensory diet down pat, but would you consider trying a different OT?aybe he needs things changed now that he's older? I didn't know that an OT diagnoses SPD. Is that typical?
    Best of luck. I'm sure your life is full but I, personally, would love to see you here more often.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

Have you done a neuropsych work up? The testing an OT does is pretty limited and as others said, SPD is more descriptive than hard diagnosis in and of itself. I'd find a well respected child psych and pay for a full workup, including the ADHD specific testing and having them observe him at school and have teacher input. Without actual testing ( not by an OT) I wouldn't rule out being in the spectrum either. But more info would be better. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    What types of testing are you planning to have done?

The problem with the SPD diagnosis is that it basically just describes a set of behaviors and symptoms. OT can help with these symptoms, but very often children diagnosed with SPD in early childhood have that as a placeholder until they are older and other diagnoses can be formally made. There are many conditions that have the SPD constellation of symptoms. Things like anxiety, ADHD, ODD, depression, autism, etc. These diagnoses may exist in combination as well. And sometimes just a kid who is not neurotypical, but is not necessarily diagnosable.

Sometimes it's a long process and there may not necessarily be a definitive answer. And diagnoses can be fluid and change. Older DD has many of the symptoms you describe. For many years she carried an anxiety diagnosis. As she has gotten older, I am seeing more ADHD symptoms. She's also begun to have a lot more depressive symptoms.

I think you're doing the right thing in getting more evaluations done and getting more information now that he is older.
    These are all good things to know particularly the bolded part. Sadly, since we moved from St. Paul to this smaller city, I have come to realize DH and I are in charge of figuring this out and there aren't a ton of resources. I'm seriously considering scheduling an appointment at a center that specializes in spd in the closest major metro center. I just feel like the OT is at a loss and the PhD we were seeing doesn't consider this to be atypical behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanaMama View Post
    Hey Lisa! I've missed you on here so mainly posting to say hi.
    From my super limited exposure to kids with SPD those behaviors sound like part of the sensory issues. I would question why the OT can't do more with him. I assume you have his sensory diet down pat, but would you consider trying a different OT?aybe he needs things changed now that he's older? I didn't know that an OT diagnoses SPD. Is that typical?
    Best of luck. I'm sure your life is full but I, personally, would love to see you here more often.
    It's good to see you too! The advice for seeing a different OT is great. Unfortunately we had to wait 9 months to see the one we have. There just are not enough in this town. She is going on maternity leave very soon and suggested that Greenbean may not need much more OT (which she later admitted that maybe he does but she just doesn't know what more she can do for him). Maybe if she suggests another OT in their department I won't have to wait another year to see the next OT. The thing that sucks about his whole situation is that while we were living in St. Paul the Early Childhood program was INCREDIBLE and we didn't take advantage of it (because when he was 2 we didn't think he had a problem). This state's program is awful.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

This is excellent advice. I'm going to start looking into this on Monday.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Have your ever investigated if he still has retained primitive reflexes? I'll be back with some links.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Here's a way to test: http://www.retainedneonatalreflexes.com.au/test-at-hom/

I have links to exercises for addressing them. Some kids find their emotional regulation and resiliency improves a lot when these are dealt with.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hi, Lisa!

I can't remember but have you ever tried limiting his diet? Specifically wheat and dairy? I don't think it is well understood and certainly not all children who have these types of problems do have a positive response to gluten and milk proteins being removed from their diets, but it seems like many do. Of course artificial dyes, flavorings, etc. can also make matters worse.

Sending hugs!
    K

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hi friend! Miss you!! No BTDT advice...just sending huge hugs your way. My BFF's middle DS has SPD and they went through a lot when he was younger. At 9.5y, he has definitely mellowed out. He has a better grasp of his SPD and understands how he can better control it on his own, which is huge. Like PP, they have also changed his diet. Due to several sensitives throughout the family, they gone in a more paleo direction, and I believe she said this has also helped across the board for everyone (several family members with ADHD). Huge huge as you further navigate through SPD.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast