hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default DS1 dx with dyslexia -- BTDT?

Hi all
    DS1 is 8 and in Monetssori school. He has done very well but recently the teachers have noticed significant issues with spelling. We had him evaluated at a neuropsych and here are the results. Appreciate any insight or guidance. TIA
    Verbal reasoning 99% (gifted category) with a vci score of 134

Visual spacial 87% (high average) with a pri score of 117

Exec function whisk wmi score of 99 (47%)

Working memory
    Processing speed score 106 (66%)

Elision 50%
    Rapid naming of numbers and words 33%
    Reading out loud 63%
    Nonsense words, untimed 7%
    Nonsense words, timed 12%
    Reading comprehension 87%
    Sight words 25% (early second grade level)
    Spelling (encoding) 21%
    Math (word problems) 99%
    Calculation 73% (DS1 skipped a bunch of problems, and then did some harder ones. This may not reflect his skill as much as anxiety of getting a problem wrong, mom commentary here)

Neuropsych noted that DS1 had some anxiety. He has some tics ...
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hey Hillview,
    No btdt experience here but you might want to cross-post in the lounge as I know there have been some informative threads on dyslexia. I know there are a couple of posters who are very knowledgeable about dyslexia.

hth
    K

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Hey Hillview,
    No btdt experience here but you might want to cross-post in the lounge as I know there have been some informative threads on dyslexia. I know there are a couple of posters who are very knowledgeable about dyslexia.

hth
    thanks!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The cluster of deficits and anxiety has me thinking Lyme may be a possibility (not to mention you live in a highly endemic area). We have seen first hand that the symptoms of Lyme can be very subtle, or debilitating. Many children with controlled Lyme end up spiking major symptoms around age 11 or 12 due the hormonal fluctuations of pending puberty that suppress immune function. For our son's neuropsych testing, he had areas of giftedness as well, and areas of deficit (i.e. 9% for dyspraxia). I have seen similar patterns in numerous children who ended up testing positive for Lyme and/or co-infections. The standard testing for Lyme is not reliable (missing 1/2 of actual cases per numerous peer reviewed articles), but there are more reliable tests available. Please feel free to PM me if you would like further guidance.

KHF is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hillview, I just saw this thread...my daughter was diagnosed with dyslexia almost 2 years ago. She is the same age as your son (also a summer 2005 baby). Her test scores were almost identical to your son's as well. If you want to chat or have questions about what we've done for remediation, feel free to PM me.
    DD - 2005
    DS - 2008

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS9, my husband and my father have dyslexia. I don't have tons of time right now, as our state group of Decoding Dyslexia has a lot of legislative meetings this week that I am preparing for, but if you have any specific questions, let me know. Your son's scores are pretty typcial IMO. One concept that I found helpful when discussing dyslexia is that to understand how dyslexia is going to impact your child, you need to know where they fall on the intellectual capacity continuum (IQ) and where their dyslexia falls on the continuum of severity. A kid who is very intelligent and mildly dyslexic is going to have a much easier time than a child of lower intelligence who is moderately severe or profound. I know many people who were shocked to learn that their kids had dyslexia because they thought they read pretty well. But they had big holes in their phonological awareness and were terrible spellers. Anyway, those are just a few quick thoughts. Let me know if you have any specific questions or are looking for specific kinds of resources.