Default Stroller advice for newborn & 4.5 yo

I need some help, as I'm totally overwhelmed by the choices! I've been researching strollers for a while now and feel no closer to making a choice than I was before. Here's the story.

We're expecting our second baby in May, when DS1 will be nearly 4.5. We are considering buying another stroller because I really don't like what we have already. (Chicco Cortina to go with our Chicco KeyFit seat and a Maclaren umbrella stroller--not sure the model because it's actually from Europe but we love this stroller and use it exclusively at this point.) We might just not buy anything at all, except I screwed up one of the wheels on the Maclaren by closing the trunk on it, so it doesn't maneuver as nicely as it used to. I don't like the Cortina much at all (bulky, poor handling), but it does fit with the Chicco seat which is convenient.

Should we get another multi-purpose stroller that will take us from infant on up, or should we just deal with the Cortina for the first few months and then invest in a stroller that's better for older babies? (Or we considered splurging on the Chicco caddy to get us through the first months, though that leaves less money for us to spend on the other stroller?)

Are we going to need something for DS1? I really, really don't want to get a double--seems wasteful when he will already be 4.5. (Plus a nearby relative owns a double I expect we could borrow occasionally if we really needed it.) Do you think we should get a ride along board? How long would that even be useful? DS1 is very tall for his age.

Our other considerations:
    -Lousy city sidewalks. Our Cortina, for instance, catches on all the bumps and makes for a tricky ride. I'm thinking we need something with some larger wheels.
    -Space--we really can't have more than 2 strollers, and neither can be huge. We have no garage or place to park them outside, so everything has to be carried up a few steps and sit in the entryway. Similarly our trunk isn't huge.
    -We don't jog or hike or anything like that. Basically we use our stroller 2-4 times a week on city streets for shorter walks, with occasional longer trips to places like the zoo, mall, etc.
    -On the middle or lighter side of the spectrum. We sometimes have to carry the stroller up stairs to get to the train, and while it's not an everyday occurrence a behemoth stroller just won't be convenient.
    -It's likely that I'll be losing my job soon, so we can't blow tons of money on a stroller! I'm hoping to spend $250 or less, and I'm willing to buy used. Is that a pipe dream? :/ If so, how much do you think I should budget?

Anyone have any advice on what kind of stroller might work for us? Anything we should consider when choosing?

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd consider something like a Valco Snap, BJCM or B-agile. They are all lightweight and easy to push. I have a BJCM and started using it reclined with an infant around 3 months but generally wore a baby carrier before then. I think they sell car seat adaptors if you want to use it with an infant seat.

I wouldn't buy anything for the 4.5 year old unless you really find a need. Ds1 is 4 and has walked everywhere for awhile. On the very rare occasion he needs to ride I put ds2 in a carrier. At 4 they don't need to nap while you're out either.

I agree with the same three strollers mikala said. I have a BJCMGT as a one and only stroller and it easily meets all of my needs.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    I'd consider something like a Valco Snap, BJCM or B-agile. They are all lightweight and easy to push.
    I would agree as well. We have a B-agile and it is the one stroller I am saving in case there is ever a baby #3. DS2 is 4.5 yrs old right now, and although he hasn't ridden in a stroller in 2+ years, we did take it with us to Disneyland in August and he fit in it great and even took an hour long nap in it! He's 43" tall and 41lbs and it fit him still.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would look into a Valco Snap. I think Albee Baby has them for $199 and you can get a chicco car seat adaptor. Then I would sell the 2 strollers you have, and you may come out even? (or close). Snap will hold a 4 y/o, so if you needed your older dc to ride, you could put baby in a baby carrier. The BJ Versa is also a good price right now, i just bought one from amazon for 250, but its a little heavier then something like the snap. (I really want the reversible feature).

or, maybe the best option yet, wait for the new Baby Jogger reversible umbrella, the rebranded NJoy Bubble, supposed to be out in March.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

I hadn't looked at the Valco Snap at all. Thanks for the tip! All this advice is really helpful!