Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Default I'm taking opinions on baby names...

It's not that I don't like the name itself, but for me it has three associations: multiple personality woman, daughter on Downton Abbey, and the Greek Sybil who told people's fortunes and caused so much misery. The last is the actual meaning of the name, "prophetess" from the Greek. I also just don't live the sound of it, but that's so personal. I don't think it's a bad name, or anything. If you used it I wouldn't say that was a mistake at all. It's just not a favorite for ME.

I do LOVE the name Harriet. My DH nixed it, but I still live it. It was not an uncommon name in England where I grew up, though here most people do think of it as old lady-ish. I think it's a great name! (And it's the name of a very old, dear friend of mine.)

ETA: Sorry that my phone almost always replaces love with live-- annoying!

I love Mabel, Leisel, and Hazel. I LOVE Hazel.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sybil will for ever be that movie about the woman who was severly abused with multiple personalities ( Sally Fields played her) I watched it when I was younger and can say it scared me. So Sybil is forever associated for me. I really like Fern but I knew a lady named Fern and she was a delight. Hazel reminds me of witch hazel and Mabel I knew a nastly old lady what smelled of moth balls when I was a kid. Funny how names bring up memories / opinions.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Sybil is just the movie association, but it is a big one. I don't think it is one of those that will fade quickly and it was far more unique than say "Carrie" was with that movie. We joke about sybil even now when someone does something completely out of character in our group and most of us, myself included, have never seen the movie. I have wondered if they would ever do a remake as that seems to be so popular to do now. I have a relative (older, pre-movie) named Sybil and when I mention her to others, people do sometimes reference the movie. That said, I don't dislike the name, just not the association.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8