Cool Which soft structured carrier would you recommend?

Hi,
    My husband would like a soft structured carrier for our little girl. She is two months old and about 14 lbs and tall.

He would like a front facing carrier where the baby can look in or out. It would be nice if it offered the option for the back too. Do you have any suggestions?

I did think these two look nice, but I don't know much about carriers, so I would love hear your recommendations!

http://www.bellebabycarriers.com/det...ruz-khaki.html

http://www.becobabycarrier.com/cat-13/gemini

Thanks!

citymama is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hi there, generally outward facing is not an ergonomic position for babies - places a lot of pressure on their hips and spine. I had the Pikkolo by Catbird Baby and loved it for infant through about 8 months - it can be worn with the baby both outward and inward facing although I rarely faced her outward. After that we switched to the Ergo, although I still used the Pikkolo through about age 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for Sandy Hook

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

FFO isn't my preference for a carrier, not because of the issues for babies (which can include over-stimulation and, in some instances, concern about hip joints) but rather for the ergonomics of the WEARER.

As a baby gets heavier, FFO can pull the WEARER'S spine and center of gravity out of alignment. Also, by the time you'll want a FFO carry, your baby might be better served by a back-carry, which is also more ergonomic for the WEARER. More info in a fairly neutral way from QuirkyBaby here:

http://blog.quirkybaby.com/2013/01/1...n-babywearing/

I second the recommendation for the Pikkolo:

http://catbirdbaby.com/index.php/pikkolo-1.html/

True, it's a slightly higher price point, but it's a great carrier.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 01-31-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

meljc is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Hi there, generally outward facing is not an ergonomic position for babies - places a lot of pressure on their hips and spine. I had the Pikkolo by Catbird Baby and loved it for infant through about 8 months - it can be worn with the baby both outward and inward facing although I rarely faced her outward. After that we switched to the Ergo, although I still used the Pikkolo through about age 1.
    Ditto EVERY WORD citymama wrote! I loved the Pikkolo from birth to ~9mo. After that we like the Ergo (especially the newer stowaway).

I will say that my DH, as wonderful as he is and as often as he uses carriers, is seemingly incapable of putting them on by himself. Don't ask me why. Once on he will happily wear our 2yo front or back for HOURS ON END. But the thirty second installation is tough. The Pikkolo was tougher for him than the Ergo BUT better for me as a petite wearer, much easier to nurse in, and doesn't require an infant insert. With my help to put it on, DH was very comfortable in the Pikkolo as well.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have the cybex 2 go. I used it in the front until 12 months and on the back until I was too pregnant for it to be comfortable. Probably close to two. It allows every type of carry and doesn't require an infant insert. I hated the forward facing carry. Killed my back. Did it twice and never again. Kids can see well even when they are facing you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all! Great information! I wasn't aware of the front facing potential issues.

I really like the looks of the pikkolo and cybex. (We have a cybex aton 2 car seat which we love!)

I will show thes to my husband and let him pick. Thanks!

Hi,
    So we went with the pikkolo and my friend lent me the beco Gemini - and the pikkolo is the winner hands down! I got the grey color pikkolo which is a denim material.

The beco has padding on the seat area, which is nice. The pikkolo strap padding is thicker, and the buckles are bigger yet easier to manage one handed. The pikkolo comes higher up on my lo. Overall, the pikkolo is more comfortable and just feels sturdier.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!