Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default alternative to Beaches, T&C

we just got back last week from our 2nd trip. the resort is lovely, but we were both a little less in love this time around. not sure if things had actually slipped a bit, or if it was just that we weren't seeing things for the first time. the location is gorgeous and extremely convenient for us (direct flight out of Newark). but we thought the food had slipped a bit. the service was not as "absolutely can-do!" as we recalled from last year - in fact, we had a couple of instances where we requested something that seemed not all that strenuous (like, can you give me a grilled cheese sandwich now at 11:55 instead of noon b/c my DD is screaming...and were simply told "no.") and even looking around our room...the lampshades were cracked and fraying a bit (for some reason this really bugged me), and there were a few other little nits that aren't huge deals, but for the amount of $$$, i would expect that it's pretty much pristine.

the kids had a blast and we've rebooked to return next Jan. but DH and i are interested in whether there are other really awesome totally, completely kid-friendly/family-oriented beautiful beach destinations that would be equally easy to access from NJ. ideas?

thx
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

wow hum. Ok we rebooked for Jan 2015 but will be watching this thread!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Another thread watcher from me; in fact I was just asking hillview about that resort as I'm planning on going first time next Jan.

Probably still will go as we haven't been and we need a completely stress free direct flight from Newark too. So far, beaches @ T&C ticked off all boxes for us. But would love to know of other places too!!
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Count me as another follower of this thread. We just came back from El Conquistador in PR. It was super family friendly and I loved that you don't need passports for PR (and no long line for customs). It was great for the kids and we will likely go back next January, but EVERYTHING is ala carte which is tough if you're used to all - inclusives.
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

yeah, it's kind of a love/hate with the AI. I mean, probably the reason the food is good but not GREAT is b/c it's AI. but the ease of getting anything and everything you want without thinking "how much will this end up costing me" is so great. so, so great. we went in and out of JFK last year, and the return through customs there was hellish. but returning through Newark this year was truly a breeze. if we can't find anything else that is seemingly "perfect," we'll end up returning next Jan. but it would be great to know if there was another equally awesome option
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have friends who have enjoyed Club Med Ixtapa with their families.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

Check out the paradisus resorts in punta Cana.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm curious what a weeks vacation costs at Beaches. Are you getting deals? When I look online its at least $6000 just for the hotel room/all-inclusive. I'd estimate another $1700 at least for airfare for 4. And thats staying in a single room with everyone sleeping in one room. I do like staying All-Inclusive, sometimes it doesnt seem worth it. So its probably at least $8000 for a weeks vacation - does that sound about right?

I just feel like I've spent far less and gotten an entire house with a pool for way less than that. Of course that means we have to cook and make our own meals, so there is that trade-off. Just wondering if people are finding the resort prices less someplace else (besides on their website).

I'd like to try Beaches, but my DH wont go on a vacation where we have to all squish into a single room for a week. and the Suite prices are pretty high!
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

on average I think we're paying between 9k-10k for our room (two bedroom ground floor walk out in Italian Village) and between 3k-4k for au pair room - standard king in Caribbean Village. we've used points for airfare for the last two years. not sure if it's a deal, but Beaches claims it is (lol). by rebooking before we leave, we lock in the current rack rate less a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    I have friends who have enjoyed Club Med Ixtapa with their families.
    going to look into that tonight. is club med kind of like beaches re: family oriented and AI? for some reason i always thought it was a singles resort. thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast