niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default How long on miralax?

Ever since I went low carb (mostly avoid wheat, but I'll have oats, eat gluten free bread), I've had constipation despite lots of fruit and vegetables and tonnes of water. I started up with miralax over weekend and added wheat bran to my oatmeal. The wheat bran worked when I had chronic constipation as a kid. Back then, I added it to weetabix cereal and ate it a few times a week.

My question is how long to stay on the miralax before seeing if the added wheat bran is enough. I know peds. have kids with chronic constipation stay on a maintenance dose for some time to get everything back working properly. I've been dealing with this for over 6 months.

Thanks.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Have you tried a daily prune fur the constipation instead?

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    Have you tried a daily prune fur the constipation instead?

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    I'll try prunes once everything gets back to normal. The wheat bran has always worked, so I went with that. I'm not avoiding gluten as intolerant to it. I read about how it can be issue with people with hypothyroidism and I've got enough problems with that. So I can eat the wheat bran.

I'm using miralax to help initially as I've been pretty uncomfortable recently. I want to taper that off, just don't know over how long as it's only been a couple of days..

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What about taking magnesium? Most people are deficient in magnesium and it is a natural laxative. My kids and I take it in the form of Natural Calm, which is a powder that you mix with a little bit of warm water. DS2 (4.5 yrs old) can take a teaspoon a day with no issues (it stopped his night terrors) and I can take 2 teaspoons a day. Any more and it causes loose stools (which would help in your case). DS1 (10 yrs old) eats 5 prunes a day to prevent constipation (which keeps him from wetting the bed at night).

I'm really liking the new cherry flavored Natural Calm. I mix it with about 3 tbsp of water.
    http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitali...al+calm+cherry
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    What about taking magnesium? Most people are deficient in magnesium and it is a natural laxative. My kids and I take it in the form of Natural Calm, which is a powder that you mix with a little bit of warm water. DS2 (4.5 yrs old) can take a teaspoon a day with no issues (it stopped his night terrors) and I can take 2 teaspoons a day. Any more and it causes loose stools (which would help in your case). DS1 (10 yrs old) eats 5 prunes a day to prevent constipation (which keeps him from wetting the bed at night).

I'm really liking the new cherry flavored Natural Calm. I mix it with about 3 tbsp of water.
    I've used this, the flavorless version, and it's great! I think I heard about it on this board, actually. I stir it into herbal tea. It works quickly and effectively and is good for you since most of us could use more magnesium.

I don't have an answer to your Miralax question. DS used it for withholding, and he was on it for three months to help with potty training, but I have never used it. I also had a problem after starting a low carb diet. I used a fiber supplement then, but it didn't work very well. My body did adapt, though.

I'd get the Natural Calm. I don't use mine daily. I use it when necessary until things get going, and then I stop.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post

Would this be safe to take during pregnancy?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Yes! It's great in pregnancy. It helps if you get any cramping (like leg cramps) and is beneficial in lots of ways.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would try a magnesium supplement as latia suggested. I have that same brand and I don't use it daily either as its pretty effective, lol.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How long on miralax?

I eat low carb (and to be honest I wouldn't call what you are eating low carb) and I take 500 mg/day chelated magnesium (magnesium glycinate), so I recommend magnesium also. Really everyone should supplement with magnesium, no just low-carbers. Magnesium citrate and malate are good forms also.

I don't know if you could eat the Luna Fiber bars on your diet, but they work quite well.