Default Business Casual for Interview?

This is the same interview for an in house law job I posted about earlier. I was going to wear a pants suit until I got a confirmation e-mail that said "business casual" attire was "welcome" for the interview. Should I wear a dress instead (I have a few nice Jcrew suiting wool dresses that I use to wear to work) or stick with the pants suit?

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think dresses are dressier personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And probably not as comfortable, I'll stick with the pants suit.

I think either is fine. I'm old school and started my career in a VERY conservative industry (as in, you HAD to wear a navy blue suit for the interview and carry a briefcase), so I tend to lean a little more conservative for interviews. A suit dress is about as casual as I might ever get for that, even if the workplace is quite casual.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    And probably not as comfortable, I'll stick with the pants suit.
    Exactly. I much prefer interviewing in pants even though for client stuff I tend to wear a classic black dress with a blazer. I have a few black dresses that I rotate through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iaam is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would wear what you will be most comfortable in. I love wearing dress and skirt suits and feel much more polished in those than in pants of any kind. So, that's what I would choose.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm a lawyer in a business casual environment (community-based non-profit health insurer). I typically wear a dress, very occasionally a suit. I'm pretty much the only one who ever wears a suit - I really just pull it out when meeting with their clients.

We're in West Michigan, I'm not sure where you are. IME, their definition of business casual means put together, beyond that they don't really judge.

I didn't interview there, but I think a dress would have been just fine. If you're more comfortable in a pants suit, go for it.