Question Any down coats out there that are similar to the LE Shimmer Down Parka,

but more 'cinched in' at the waist? I ordered a couple in different sizes, and I'm not sure if they run a little big or if the ones I got happen to be cut bigger, but they're not tapered at the waist at all (I got an XS Petite, so there's no smaller size I can try). Wondering if there are any other brands out there that are similar in style, warmth, cost, and color choices, but that run a little more fitted, at least in the waist? And if there's any company that has a different pattern to the way the down is sewn in, that would be a bit more feminine or flattering? Maybe I need to just find one with a belted waist? I was hoping there might be a brand that has a drawstring inside the coat to cinch in the waist and give more of an hourglass definition for my pear-shaped body.

Just trying to figure out if I can find something better or if I should stick with this one. I could check out North Face and Patagonia, I just really don't want to spend so much (and want to be able to return in-store). I'll also look at Eddie Bauer's and Nordstrom's websites, in the meantime.

If you happen to have one of their Shimmer Down Parkas (or Coats), could you comment on how you like it?

Thanks for your help!

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No experience with LE but I am totally in love with my Lole down coat I got this year. It's definitely shaped at the waist and has held up great - no feather shedding at all. Check REI outlet and Sierra trading post.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Definitely check out TNF or Patagonia. I don't know what climate you are in but what about Patagonia's Low Sky? Very feminine and flattering. Very thin so you don't look so puffy. Would be a fine winter coat if you drive a lot but wouldn't rec for ten degrees and walking commute. It's on sale on Patagonia's website. Check out Zappos too. They have some sales going on.

Thanks for the recs! I checked Zappos last night and the other two, as well (looked at REI, don't know why I didn't think to try their outlet or Sierra Trading Post!)... also checked out 6pm and Macy's. I almost pulled the trigger on a Lauren Ralph Lauren one in Loden on Nordstrom's website (still more than I want to spend, but the coat is cute), but I found more reviews on the Bloomingdales website and they weren't very good, so I skipped it.
    We get tons of coooold weather and long winters here, (I think it's at or below 0 all this week), but I'm a SAHM, so I mostly just want something fashionable but warm for going in and out of buildings with the kids and watching DD at the ski hill. Which is my other problem, I'd kind of like to ski with her every once in a while, but the typical ski jacket is different than what I would pick otherwise (I like more earth tones instead of bright flourescents and patterns and such).
    I'm really too picky- I'd like waterproof, washable, down-filled (to be warm enough), kind of a parka- mid-thigh length (though that maybe means I wouldn't be able to use it for an occasional ski day?), $200 or less, with definition at the waist, not too puffy/ Michelin-man/ modern looking. I'd rather avoid black, like the look of white/ cream but worry about the upkeep with how dirty our cars get, etc. And of course most of what I like it sold out this time of year!
    Anyhow, I'll look into the Low Sky, too.

Thanks again, and please keep the ideas coming!

I agree with the large cut- I had to size down to an XS and I am almost always a S-M. And yup, no waist definition. That said, I love this coat- warm, have gotten many compliments on the color, and what could be better than fleece-lined pockets?

Yeah, I did love the color, but ended up returning the coat... I'm trying to be better about only buying things that I *love,* that fit me really well, and that are flattering. I wasn't crazy about the hood & fur (think it needs the fur to look classier, but it was a bit overkill on me). Anyhow, I'll try again in the fall, unless something catches my eye at the end of winter here.