Default Anyone doing intermittent fasting?

I am on week 2 of fasting 16 hours a day & eating 500 calories two days a week. Has anyone else done this & what are your results so far? I lost 2.5 pounds the first week. I am exercising 6 days a week also.
    Mama to 3

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have not but there was a Diane Rehm show on NPR recently about it that was very interesting. You can find the podcast on the NPR site. Diane said she had been doing it and had lost a lot of weight.

ETA here is the link for the show:
    http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/20...tent-fasting-0
    Last edited by mmsmom; 02-25-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added link

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am pretty impressed with this diet. My parents and their best friends (another couple) have been doing this for months. Since they started many folks at their church have gotten on it too. What impresses me the most is that my friend who has always had issues with hypoglycemia has had a big improvement in his symptoms since starting this lifestyle change. The science behind it, letting your body rest and recharge while fasting, makes good sense to me and I have always believed the biblical concept of fasting held physical as well as spiritual benefits. I have been planning to start for a couple weeks but haven't really gotten organized.

Thanks mmsmom, I will check out her show.

I really like it because I can't hang with long term deprivation of foods I love. But I can make it through a day & can have that cookie tomorrow if I still want it. I'm interested in the spiritual aspect of it also. I'm going to keep trucking along. I have about 20-25 pounds to lose.
    Mama to 3

I am going to check this out. I'm curious to see if it works.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My dad started this a couple of months ago...he's down about 17 lbs at this point.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been doing it for about a month (actually heard that Diane Rehm show, which got me interested). I don't have a ton of weight to lose (maybe 5 lbs?)...just was feeling blah after the holidays. I've lost probably 2.5 lbs but don't really weigh religiously. I fast on Mondays and Thursdays and what I've noticed is that by Sunday night, I can't wait to fast on Monday - I just feel better. It's hard, especially around 2:00 or so, then I get over that hump about 3:30. I drink coffee with whole milk (go as unprocessed as possible at our house so no skimping on low caloric, but artificial foods) in the morning and then eat a modified dinner with the family so my almost 7yo DD doesn't see mommy not eat. Pretty happy with it so far.
    Mom to my little girl 3/12/07
    ....and boy 8/04/09