So, we have school choice within our public school system and last week I thought I may have new hope for middle school. There is one school I have always heard great things about, from both parents with children in both spec. ed and regular ed. I talked to the principal and was impressed on many levels. I talked with him after the group meeting (it was open to all interested parents) about dd's IEP, etc, and felt really good except for one really big thing.

What they offer for reading and math, for the spec. ed kids who are not receiving intensive services, such as an aide, is sort of a pre-teaching class in both math and reading that is separate from the reg ed class. They go over the concepts they will learn, vocabulary, give them extra help. This may work really well for dd (wont know for sure until we try), but the bummer is that they have 2 electives and each of these slots is held during an elective time--so that would mean no electives. This is a bummer for dd b/c aside from the typical reasons, dd tends to excel in elective-type classes (she is very creative and good at non-academic things), and for all I know would make a career out of something more along those lines. I did express some concerns to the principal, but his response was maybe she could just take either the math or reading and do one elective (he has not really seen her IEP, scores, etc--this is all just off the cuff, which he stated too--and would be discussed in an IEP mtg)--but I know she really needs both.

I am not sure exactly what I am asking. The principal did keep stating he wants it to work for the kids...but I don't know--would you just accept that she won't electives (which will make her sad on top of everything), push to find a solution, or decide this is not the right school. There is one other school I am still looking at, but honestly this was much better than the other choices in all other ways.