Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Hmmn, there are not really any state or local parent advocacy groups for dd's dx. We do have an education service district, and they do not really cover dd's dx.. We dont' have a regional center that I know of. There is a pay for service group that covers dd's dx, but they are 2 hr away.
    Having a parent group that is specific for our child's dx is the most helpful option, especially if you need information on accommadations and services specific to the dx. If you just need more general help about navigating the system, learnig about options, understanding the local school culture, etc, parent groups for other dx can be helpful. IME, most of these groups are willing to help regardless of what the actual diagnosis is. I know that in our local autism group we sometimes get inquiries from parents of kids with various processing disorders or nuerological conditions.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Gena View Post
    Having a parent group that is specific for our child's dx is the most helpful option, especially if you need information on accommadations and services specific to the dx. If you just need more general help about navigating the system, learnig about options, understanding the local school culture, etc, parent groups for other dx can be helpful. IME, most of these groups are willing to help regardless of what the actual diagnosis is. I know that in our local autism group we sometimes get inquiries from parents of kids with various processing disorders or nuerological conditions.
    Thanks, that is a good point. I know there is a local closed facebook group for parents with children of autism that does just this--a friend was supposed to give me the info to join, but then she had a family emergency--I will follow up with her.

Dd's IEP was cancelled today due to her teacher's absence. I would not want to have the meeting without the teacher (as she gets it), but I happen to know the teacher offered to come in just for the IEP as she did not want it rescheduled (not sure why she is out, but guess she is able to come in for a short while), and the principal said no to this. Lovely, now to try to reschedule.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Have you had the IEP yet? How did it go?
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you so much for asking, Gena!
    Yes, we did have the IEP. It went better than previous meetings, and was a relief in some ways but still some things are not good.
    What went well was that no one said that dd was just not trying hard enough. The regular ed teacher (who is extremely supportive and right no) voiced the social concerns I have about dd so people took that seriously (I have voiced these concerns before, but they have never been heard before. They just dont take parents seriously). I did have to defend several accommodations, but they all stayed on her IEP. The asst principal volunteered to help with something that has not been done, but is on the IEP, dd needs to be happening, but is not. (Although getting the follow through to happen is another story.)

What did not go well was that after asking for a draft IEP a few weeks ago, I received that draft in a timely manner but dd's specialized instruction time was reduced by 50 min/week. There was no discussion about that! I am talking with the spec ed admin who has been involved in my our case about that. Also, I am not sure that the level of service dd is receiving will be enough in middle school. She is currently being pulled out in a small group for reading, writing, and math instruction. It was tried without this and not successful. However, she will not be pulled out at all unless her service level is bumped up (which it wasnt). She will have support classes, but this is a bigger group. I also felt a lot of the meeting was looking for any progress at all, and patting the spec ed teacher on the back about this vs being concerned about what is not working well.

I talked with the principal again, along with one of the spec ed teachers, of the middle school I talked about in my OP. I do really like them. Turns out she will get one elective in 6th grade, and its after 6th that there would be no electives. So, that is relieving at least for now. They claim if she is not doing well with the support classes alone that they will address this in some way, either by more modifications or bumping up the service level--sounds good, but I am cynical based on my experiences with my district so far.

Thanks again for asking--hope it makes sense!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3